What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I've got extra holes in the weldments!

AAflyer

Well Known Member
As I thoroughly review the plans and instructions on how to attach my gear legs, I've come across a couple of "unknowns".
Inside the gear tower, on the outboard edge of the weldment, over the longeron, (F-843-L-1) , there are 4 holes. The aft-most and forward-most holes have been drilled to accept the big bolts for gear leg brackets. But the other two small holes, which appear the same size as the rivet holes used along the entire length of the longeron, ARE EMPTY! Drawing 67 says that small bolts/washers/nuts go in them ( AN509-8R12's), but I can't figure out how these won't interfere with the gear wear plates, which is supposed to sit flush on the bottom of the skin.

This is a quick-build fuselage and a tail-dragger…if that makes a difference.

IMO, these holes MUST be left empty. But if that's true, I question why Van's didn't put a couple of rivets in them.
Comments?

Found it.

Gulp. Well, well well..
After seeing a nice photo on of this area on another site, which clearly showed these screws and nuts installed,I began a detailed reading of my instructions. And, after going WAY BACK in the instructions?.(these would be the instructions I didn't have to reference, since I paid for a Quick-Build)?I found that these holes should have been countersunk from below, and will allow the screw to be flush, thereby NOT interfering with the wear brace.
Said like Rosanna Rosannadanna?"Never Mind."

I noticed the same thing with my QB. I contacted Van's, they said leave them out .

Too late. I spent the time to countersink and install the screws. Had to install them a couple of time, as I was never sure its they would be completely flush until I tightened them down. :mad:

And, after going WAY BACK in the instructions?.(these would be the instructions I didn't have to reference, since I paid for a Quick-Build)

Hi Bruce,
Perhaps I'm taking the quote above wrong, but in case I'm not...
Respectfully, I'd like to suggest that you treat your quick build no different than a slow build. It is no one's responsibility but the builder's to prove to yourself and to your future passengers that every single step has been completed to the letter. I found several issues back when I was building my QB including vent lines plugged with pro-seal. I received this same advice from a fellow VAF member and it was taken to heart. There are whole threads devoted to the subject of where in the instructions to start your quickbuild. The only right answer is at the beginning. I apologize if I'm reading too much into this.

Joe

Back