What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 gear tower holes

Travelair

Just planning now, but I think I need more or larger holes in the F802A/B landing gear bulkheads. Bulkheads come with a 5/8? hole and a tooling hole near the bottom of the bulkheads. From Detail E & F in DWG OP-11, it looks like they suggest enlarging to 1" the existing 5/8" hole on the aft side of the gear tower. Also it looks like they do not enlarge the tooling hole, but drill a 3/4" hole slightly below and inboard of the tooling hole (but using their measurements, the new hole looks like it is at the tooling hole) for an aft battery wire. I have aft battery, fuel line, fuel return line, and the usual flap/lighting wires that need to go through. Running them according to the plans (1? and 3/4? holes), all the electric should fit in the large hole and fuel line would fit through smaller hole, but I would still need one more hole for the fuel return line. Recommendations for structurally sound locations/size of gear tower holes? I am sensitive the the issue of drilling bulkhead holes since I knew someone who totaled a nice Aero Commander 690 years ago by drilling bulkhead holes for a rewiring modernization.

Back