What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Larger fuselage cut outs for wing slot?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Im working on the fuselage sides today and will install them today. I have noticed that a few builders have had to enlarge the size of the wing cut outs on the sides of the fuselage skins. Question is, should I make the cut outs larger before installing the sides? If so, please advise about how much and where. Thanks for your skilled advice.

I don't remember having to enlarge the openings. I'd try to fit without enlarging the openings and, even then, make sure you not having to enlarge because of an error you made (e.g., I accidentally mounted one of the rollers the spar rolls on backwards so the spar wouldn't fit in the opening. Someone here noticed it when I posted a picture. I would have enlarged for nothing.).

Thanks Tom

Thanks, Tom, for responding. I appreciate that. My fuselage sides are now fitted, dismounted, deburred, primed and ready for install. I'll double check everything tonight and likely install them tomorrow. I am sad that I couldn't start my kit a few years earlier (yeah, life gets in the way), but glad that Van's and the builders whom have preceded my build have improved the airplane greatly. Example- the fuselage doublers, stronger brackets, wing skin reinforcement, etc.. Also, I am very thankful to have the help of a repeat offender in building this airplane. Thanks, Richard!!!

The slots in my side skins did need to be opened up a little. A couple of the rivets in the spar were just a bit proud. You can get a measurement across those rivets and check before fitting the skin, but it's no big deal finishing them off in situ. The other area to watch is where the top of the spar can interfere with the bulkhead cap. I had to take off about 1mm from the cap to get the wing to slide all the way in.
Cheers,
DaveH

I ended up enlarging mine after the spar rivets chewed up the skin edges pretty bad. Just about every rivet was proud and ended up acting like saw teeth as the spar moved past the skin. I used a Souix rivet cutter to cut every one flush and then covered the rivet lines with self stick 1/2" UHMW tape (McMaster-Carr). No more problems with skin damage.

John Salak
RV-12 120116
N896HS

Thanks to all

Yeah, I had heard that some had found the plans cut out to be too small. I cut mine about 1/16 inch longer at the top and the same on the side opposite he factory cut out. We will be really careful when installing the wings. Hope that we got it right! Thanks to all who answered.

Mine had to be opened a bit, but I don't know how you would know until the skins are in place and you try to fit up the wings.

It helps to open up the top cut a little so that you can wiggle the wings when you install them. When you install them yourself, you kind of need to search for the roller on the opposite side to catch the spar on. Just my experience, you can always trim them up installed if needed.

It's about the same amount of work now or later but later you'll have the exact size you need when you have the spars. If you do it at wing fitting just go slowly and don't force anything. Those proud rivets on the spars will catch the opening. I believe I had to take a 16th off each hole to get it right. You could also just use the spars without the wing skins / ribs when the time comes.

Spar Rivets Proud?

Moderators - Maybe this belongs in another thread. When I got my wing kit, I noticed that almost all of the factory built wing tongue rivets are proud - as much as 1/20 of an inch or so. If I flush them out, that would destroy the anodizing there. Guess that I could scratch, clean, prime and paint.

Other than it looks kind of unfinished, I don't see any real reason to flush out those big rivets. Don't want to lose any structural strength. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Back