What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D2 Failure

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Dynon D2 Failures.

So I bought my Dynon D2 about 7 months ago. I got tired of my attitude indicator rolling after mild aerobatics. I used the 3 inch hole mount and it sits permanently mounted to my panel.

The day after I got it 7 months ago, the battery wouldn't hold a charge. I was pleased that they sent me another one, no questions asked. All I had to do was send the original back in.

Now back to a month ago, my D2 wouldn't stay level, and the pitch had to me maxed out to level it out. My g-meter was stuck at 2gs. So I spend $30 of my own money to over night it.

They sit on it for a 10 day turn around. They say it has to be fixed, not replaced. Ok... Whatever.

I get it back, and the pitch still doesn't work, and the roll functions is not much better. When it was brand new... It was great. Seems that all they fixed was the g-meter function. They kept telling me that it was subject to excessive vibration. Really? What is excessive in an airplane?

Dynon, if ever I thought about upgrading my clocks to glass, you don't get my business. 2 D2s, both broke. Sent in to get fixed, sent back barely working. 10 days to fix what should have just been replaced, because you certainly did not fix it.

Buyer beware.

X

Last edited by a moderator:
Call them, they will take care of you

My experience is nothing like yours. I say call them and try again. They always did good buy me. I have a full dynon system.

When my D6 went TU on the way to Sun n Fun last year, I wasn't terribly happy. At about a year old I wondered about Dynon durability. They sent me a new one quickly enough, can't complain at all about that but here we are 13 months later and the screen on the new one flickers intermittently. Meanwhile the two garmin screens have been nothing but fantastic. I have the dynon as a dissimilar backup....but if I were to do it again, I would not buy dynon. Having built the panel myself and run every wire in every connector the built quality comparison between dynon and garmin is literally comparing metal to plastic. It isn't even close. Apparently the internal components are equivalent. Having spent previous years of my life in R&D electronics, I have a good eye for quality and just don't see how this D6 is going to last. As an IFR bird...I am not sure I am comfortable with dynon.

Sorry about your experience. Try calling them up and demanding a new one.

Just my personal experience, not intended to offend.

I've had a D2 for 9 months and there's been no trouble - even after aerobatics.

You may just have a lemon example. Maybe Dynon would replace it.

Sorry for the frustrating experience. We will get a replacement D2 out to you ASAP. I will contact you offline to make arrangements.

Not my experience

Dynon D2 Failures.

Dynon, if ever I thought about upgrading my clocks to glass, you don't get my business. 2 D2s, both broke. Sent in to get fixed, sent back barely working. 10 days to fix what should have just been replaced, because you certainly did not fix it.

Buyer beware.

X

This is exactly opposite of my experience with four full Dynon SkyView panel installs. Dynon has, by far, provided the best after the sale service of all venders I've worked with. My Garmin GTN-650 experience on the other hand places them in the anchor position.

Carl

My Garmin GTN-650 experience on the other hand places them in the anchor position.

Carl

That makes two of us. I just replaced the tray fan for the third time in two years.

The fact of life is that a very small percentage on units from all the vendors is going to be problematic. What will separate vendors is how they deal with these issues on an individual basis.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Dynon/AFS. My experiences with Garmin have been mixed. I'm glad to see that Dynon Support is stepping up to making the OP's issue right.

The fact of life is that a very small percentage on units from all the vendors is going to be problematic. What will separate vendors is how they deal with these issues on an individual basis.
FWIW In 2010 my D6 was DOA and Dynon immediately fixed it. It has worked perfectly since so it is now the backup to a dual SkyView system that has run without a hitch since 2013. I now have about 600hrs on the D6 and about 300hrs on my Skyview with no problem whatsoever.
:cool:

Last edited:
Would anybody care to comment on how good the GRT stuff is or isn't?

Disclaimer: I've owned an HX and an HS since 2010 so obviously I'm biased.

IMHO the GRT hardware/software is one of the best out there. (read the fine print in some of the others. GRT will NOT lose attitude info if you lose pitot and/or gps data). It interfaces with a lot of other equipment, you're not tied to brand X or Brand Y. But they are a small company, without the manpower for a lot of hand-holding, and their manuals are adequate but again you need a bit of a tech background to really understand them. So if you're doing the set up yourself, you need to be just a bit of a techie, or at least a very careful reader. Their on-line forum can be useful in this regard. Personally I had no set up issues, but I am a bit of a techie.

The real question is, do you want a "uniform looking" panel, all from one company? Or do you want to pick and choose from many vendors, choosing what you perceive to be the best value or performance? If the latter then you want GRT.

Re Dynon

Have Dynon D10A system ( 4 years ...great little instrument!)and Dynon D2 (6 mths)...always great service from this company. Also have GRT HS ..it has been flawless. Just follow setup instructions re Ahrs and magnetometer.........

Sorry for the frustrating experience. We will get a replacement D2 out to you ASAP. I will contact you offline to make arrangements.

Email sent. Thank you David for noticing my post and standing behind your product.

Too bad I couldn't have been taken care of properly the first time, but I respect your effort in trying to fix a bent relationship.

X

They kept telling me that it was subject to excessive vibration. Really? What is excessive in an airplane?

Here's a plot of excessive vibration cause by propeller imbalance. High vibration can/will cause many problems including avionics problems.

The red circle in the plot below indicates the upper vibration limit of 0.2 IPS, this one was shaking like a wet dog, owner thought everything was fine :eek:
(this was a Whirlwind prop on an RV7, many folks think composite props are better balanced than their metal counterparts so guess I dispelled that myth)

prop%2Bbal%2Bwhirlwind.jpg

Last edited:
My airplane vibrates and shakes far less than most any GA airplane that I have ever flown. I use the mount that Dynon provided to occupy the 3 inch hole.

Plus all my landings are like butter.

My airplane vibrates and shakes far less than most any GA airplane that I have ever flown. I use the mount that Dynon provided to occupy the 3 inch hole.

Plus all my landings are like butter.

You asked "what's excessive", I gave you data.

Seat of the pants vibration measuring doesn't work very well. I'd say 90% of props that I balance the owner didn't notice any "excessive" vibration and just wanted to have it checked, most are surprised at the results and the improvement it makes.

As for your landings, obviously you're a better pilot that most of us :D

This is exactly opposite of my experience with four full Dynon SkyView panel installs. Dynon has, by far, provided the best after the sale service of all venders I've worked with. My Garmin GTN-650 experience on the other hand places them in the anchor position.

Carl

My experience has been the same as Carl. Service and support from Dynon and AFS has been fantastic. I have installed probably a dozen to 20 Dynon and AFS panels in the last 2 years and have had my share of items die, but the support and service is second to none.

Back