What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tite Seal on NPT fitting ... which one?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello

There is a lot here about sealing to read. In the section 5 of the Vans Manual, they also stated to use Tite Seal for zhe NPT. But I could not found information about which Tite Seal I should use. ACS sells both,:

- Tite Seal Light Weight

- Tite Seal Medium Weight

Which one should I use, let say for the fittings on a oilcooler, tank drain, fuel sender and so on.

I assume the light weight will be more liquid and may be is more for small fittings and small gaps.

Thanks alot and best regards,

Dominik

Get a tube of Loctite 567 from your local auto shop. It really is the gold standard for this type of work.
Just my opinion, but you will find a lot of people will agree.
Cheers,
DaveH

Get a tube of Loctite 567 from your local auto shop. It really is the gold standard for this type of work.
Just my opinion, but you will find a lot of people will agree.
Cheers,
DaveH

That's what I've read in the forum, and it seemed so universally liked that I use it on my NPT's.

But can you list the reasons why 567 users prefer that over anything else?

Just curious.

That's what I've read in the forum, and it seemed so universally liked that I use it on my NPT's.

But can you list the reasons why 567 users prefer that over anything else?

Just curious.

I think folks just grab onto something that works well and become believers. As long as you use an appropriate thread sealant, you will be just fine.
I have, and use, both Loctite and Permatex. They both work well.
I am sure there are other thread sealants out there that perform well in addition to these brands.

This is what the big boys use.

Hylomar? Aerograde PL32

I used original
Hylomar? Universal Blue
It can be used also for flat matIng surfaces
Remove easy with a rag and acetone

Bill J

What about for the nylon npt fittings used with brakes? Use the same stuff?

Permatex isn't recommended for plastic fittings, not sure about the Locktite.
For these fittings, I use EZ Turn Fuel lube, well, cause that is what I have on hand. I am not sure it does much as the plastic threads are somewhat elastic and seem to make a good seal even when dry, as long as you can clock them correctly and still get them tight.
EZ turn appears to have similar properties to the PL32, and I have used it on pipe threads with good results but it doesn't claim to be a thread sealant like PL32 or the other products.

This is the low pressure side and much more forgiving.

Thanks. You have a Bucker? Sweet! I hear they are the nicest flying airplanes ever.

Certainly the nicest I have flown, but the RV3 is a close second, almost twice as fast on the same fuel burn, and the cockpit is much more civilized ;)

Back