What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My trans-atlantic RV-8 odyssey

That's great info,thanks. Keep it standard but Grove gear allowed and I guess look at what others have done in the UK as I know there's a fastback over there.

Decision to be made at the end of the year and my plan was to keep it light and simple.

Cheers for the info, I'll have a good read.

Mark

Darn

I was just about to put you on the email list for a Space X "fly in luncheon" in the LA area just after flight 6 lifts off. Have to do lunch in spirit I suppose :D

Rv 8 in Europe

Hello Marc et al
I am finishing my 8 soon
Plan to retire and take it to Europe
USA citizen n registered but son also a pilot French citizen working in London
Was told impossible to register and fly in Europe in France
Will like to keep rv in Europe for summer and fall flying
Also wish to cross Atlantic like you did
Any chance of getting a g registration?
Any tips appreciated

Hi Andres,

There's not a short answer, but in summary:

For a temporary visit you could probably get approval for an extended exemption from having a standard CofA.
If you are moving permanently, then you would need to register it in the country you are living and gain a permit to fly in that country. There may be some latitude to register in an adjacent country where you have connections, but that is not guaranteed.

I believe the French are more restrictive on importing amateur built aircraft. It may be worth contacting the Vans Club de France for advice.

In the UK it is accepted, but you would have to demonstrate compliance with the 'Type Acceptance Data Sheet' for the RV-8. Approval can take 2-6 months depending on various factors. The LAA are reticent to recommend permits to G- registered aircraft not based in the UK.

If it is just a single extended visit, I would suggest pursuing the exemption.
You will probably have to get insurance from a European underwriter as not many US providers will cover you to EC requirements.

I'll drop you a PM so that you can contact me directly for more detail.

Back