What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430W Nav radio problems

morganjp

Well Known Member
My Nav (VOR part) radio on the 430W has decided to stop working. The setup is as follows:

430W with Val 429 as external CDI
Bob archer Nav antenna in each wingtip. left antenna nav & G/S for Val429
Right antenna nav & G/S for 430 W.

ILS and G/S work on the 430W VOR is flagged on the Val 429 when I go to the external signal.

I switched the antenna connections and 430W VOR signal is still not there so the problem is not in the antenna as Val 429 internal radio is fine.

HELP!!!!

John Morgan

Your nav portion of the radio is deaf as they say. Had the same problem.
You will need to send it back to Garmin. If not in warranty it will cost 900.00 to 1000.00 for repairs. You will need to get an RMA # from the retailer who you purchase it from. Usually takes 5-7 working days. Garmins turnaround
was very good. Garmin will only send it back to the retailer and then retailer will forward it back to you.

Geoff

Thanks for the input Geoff; although that is not what I was wanting to hear.
Anybody got any input on what else garmin does for their $1000? Ie will they do any reburbishing of the unit for that price. Example I have some scratches on the front glass.

John Morgan

Thanks Brantel;

I guess I will go to my dealer and have them bench check it and then send back for a refurb.

thanks for the info

John Morgan

I assume you have power going to the nav portion it should be wired to a seperate breaker.

Say what???

The 430W is on its own breaker if that is what you are asking. Also the ILS and glideslope still work. it is only the VOR part that has failed.

John Morgan

Say what???

The 430W is on its own breaker if that is what you are asking. Also the ILS and glideslope still work. it is only the VOR part that has failed.

John Morgan

There should be two breakers for the 430 if installed per Garmin's instructions.

Main power is for Nav, so if ILS/LOC is working then then that is not his problem.

Com power is for com only.

I am missing something here. I thought that if a LOC could be tuned and working then the VOR would have to work as well. Aren't they the same. I.e. frequencies, antenna and wiring?

You are correct that the VOR/LOC use the same receiver "front end" to receive and demodulate the signal, however, the signals after that are processed differently. So yes the LOC can still work with the VOR inop or vice versa.

Cool thanks Walt. So then from a troubleshooting standpoint, the antenna, wiring, power and indicator should all be fine if the ILS works. It almost has to be an internal 430W problem?

Cool thanks Walt. So then from a troubleshooting standpoint, the antenna, wiring, power and indicator should all be fine if the ILS works. It almost has to be an internal 430W problem?

I've learned never to say "has to be...", but it seems like the most likely thing is the 430 at this point. The best way to be sure is to slip a known good unit in and see if you have the same problem.

Back