What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter location

PeteP

Well Known Member
My O-320 has the more or less standard oil filter adapter that places the filter directly aft of the engine. Will this work on the 9A mount or do I need to get an a 90 degree angle oil filter adapter?

Pete

Pete,

I have a 360, but I think you should be fine with the standard placement (i.e., it shouldn't be an interference issue). However, having the 90-degree adapter makes changing the filter less messy.

Greg

Pete,
I have this same setup on my 9A and it works just fine. You will need to put something under it to catch some oil when you change filters.

Bill

Remote filter mess

I have a remote filter on my 0-320 and I would not do it again. It seemed like a great idea that would eliminate the mess but it is actually worse. Mine is a tail dragger so there isn't as much room behind the engine mount. Because of that it is necessary to tilt the filter slightly,spilling oil, to get it out. The other problem is caused by oil lines that enter the filter housing from the top. These lines always have oil in them. When you loosen the filter that oil drains out around the filter before you can get it out. I have tried putting a plastic bag around the filter but it is almost impossible to hold and turn the slippery filter. I also have made a special oil trough from a gallon milk carton to channel oil away from the firewall, brake lines etc. It helps but there is still the need to tip the filter to remove it.
If you can get the remote bracket in a place where the filter will drop straight down it would be better but you still have to contend with the extra oil flooding down.
One other negative is the added weight of the remote filter, associated hoses and brackets.
Hope this helps someone.:confused:

My O-320 has the more or less standard oil filter adapter that places the filter directly aft of the engine. Will this work on the 9A mount or do I need to get an a 90 degree angle oil filter adapter?

Pete

It will work perfect as it is Pete. With right approach not a single drop will be spilled during oil change :D

oilfilter.jpg

The russky is right. I'm usually not in a hurry because I'm also doing an annual...so, drain the oil first. Then I add one quart to the sump. Next, out comes the leatherman and I make a catch pan out of that oil bottle. Depending on clearance I'll cut either the top 3/4 off the bottle or cut one flat side off. This wedges under the filter adapter and will usually sit there on it's own. Spin off the filter partway, let it drain a bit and weasel that sucker out of there. Then pull the catch pan. Not a single drip unless you drop the catcher or the filter.

Back