What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS data logging help

G3i Ignition

Well Known Member
Looking for help (cheat sheet) on GRT EIS 6000 data logging through the serial out, DB9 connection to a laptop. Will the computer recognize the EIS as new hardware found? Mine didn?t. The EIS is power up. Just wondering if I?m missing something simple. My main goal is to log the text file and dump it into Excel.
Thanks,
Thomas S.

Although the EIS will transmit a data stream on the serial port you will have to write your own software application to capture it and store it to a file. I believe there was a guy in New Zealand who was doing something similar - Kevin Horton might know more.

Pete

PS As I understand it for a device to 'Plug & Play' with Windows its software needs to be written to comply with the Windows interface requirements - I'm guessing the EIS doesn't do that?

I assume you've got the EIS connected to one of your computers serial ports. There are two good programs to use to decode the serial stream. GRT has one on their website called EISLog and the other one I like is Waiter's Flight Recorder (www.iflyez.com). Run the software, select the serial port, and you're set.

--
Michael

Thank you for those links! I like the information that I see. Also received some help from Bill B. (a future RV builder) on the some software tips on Excel. I?m up and running the data logging.
Thanks again,
Thomas S.

Back