What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 Waas Questions

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Does this unit track VOR's and glideslope using Waas based GPS only, or, not using GPS but rather intercepting ground based signals received thru the ships VOR & glideslope antenna's?

If it is only GPS based, is there only one GPS antenna that the unit uses?

Lastly, is the installation of this unit pretty hairy? (diagnostic checks that have to be made, install location relative to HSI, etc.)

I presume all of this is in the unit install manual.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

Anybody?

The crux of my question is whether the Garmin 430 Waas unit is solely GPS based or also ground based using ground based VOR and glide slope signals?

Jim

VOR and (ILS) glide slope is tracked via the NAV portion of the unit and not the GPS. However, you can get glide slope for a LPV or LNAV+VNAV approach which is tracked via the GPS.

There is only one GPS antenna and of course an antenna for the NAV (VOR)

The installation is not hairy by any means but there are some guide lines that needs to be followed, specially regarding the GPS antenna for the WAAS to work OK.

Jim, I'm not sure of your question exactly. But, the 430's gps does not receive signals from any ground based transmitters. It does receive gps compatible signals from one or two geosynchronous satellites, which transmit correction data to your waas receiver, enabling it to be more accurate.

The localizer, VOR and glide slope receivers in the 430 are independent from the gps system in it.

For an short explanation of waas, see:
http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

I see most have answered your 430 vor questions, but I will add that the unit has vor and gs antenna connections, thus a vor splitter is needed and yes, the gps and vor/loc/gs receivers are independant. In use, you actually push a panel button to select the receiver to be used for navigation.

I have installed several 430w's and think it's not too bad a job. I would highly recommend that you buy the unit with a prefabricated harness...the rear connectors are small and use high density sub D pins which are very small and require a specific crimper type (most popular is the Daniel's AFM8 with correct positioners, about $400 new or much less on ebay). And Garmin does not sell 430's direct and will not allow their dealers to sell without harnesses.

On the install manual, be sure to get the latest rev level. Garmin install manuals are not for the faint of heart, but contain all the info you need. They are not Heathkit style manuals and don't offer "hook wire from pin A to pin B as shown in figure 3..." instructions. An electronics background or experience or electronic wiring experience is very helpful and can be learned much like riveting.

Also the 430 is a highly configurable unit able to talk to almost all common avionic units and thus considerable configuration and checkout proceedures are done after installation.

All this said, many have installed the units and with a little study and some help/advice from knowledgeable friends the installation is doable.

thoughts on the 430 w/waas

Thanks for the explanations on how the unit receives signals. Very logical, I expected such but couldn't put into words, not having an IFR ticket, and up on the lingo.

I expect someday the prices of these units are going to drop into the affordable range as newer, better(? in features, more user friendly, less weight, etc.) units are introduced and replace these 430 models.

Don't like the thought of having to study/learn yet another area in order to take a stab at installation. I suppose the option is to have an avionics shop install (but can get pricey).

Jim

vor splitter

I see most have answered your 430 vor questions, but I will add that the unit has vor and gs antenna connections, thus a vor splitter is needed and yes, the gps and vor/loc/gs receivers are independant. In use, you actually push a panel button to select the receiver to be used for navigation.

I have installed several 430w's and think it's not too bad a job. I would highly recommend that you buy the unit with a prefabricated harness...the rear connectors are small and use high density sub D pins which are very small and require a specific crimper type (most popular is the Daniel's AFM8 with correct positioners, about $400 new or much less on ebay). And Garmin does not sell 430's direct and will not allow their dealers to sell without harnesses.

On the install manual, be sure to get the latest rev level. Garmin install manuals are not for the faint of heart, but contain all the info you need. They are not Heathkit style manuals and don't offer "hook wire from pin A to pin B as shown in figure 3..." instructions. An electronics background or experience or electronic wiring experience is very helpful and can be learned much like riveting.

Also the 430 is a highly configurable unit able to talk to almost all common avionic units and thus considerable configuration and checkout proceedures are done after installation.

All this said, many have installed the units and with a little study and some help/advice from knowledgeable friends the installation is doable.

I installed my 430W and was going to put a vor splitter in and Stark Avionics said do not put vor splitters in for the 430w, use two antenna's if you have another nav/com radio and also you have to use the special garmin GPS antenna for the 430w. I don't remember whether it may damage it or whether it was something about IFR certification

Back