What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crankcase vent hose

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Included with my kit was a piece of 3/4 heater hose with a 90 degree bend in it. It is a NAPA part #9816. Does heater hose hold up in an application like this?
Thanks in advance!

I used heater hose for the first several years on my airplane. It is cheap, easy to get replacements but only held up 4 or 5 years. Aeroquip 6000 was used for replacement. 3 or 4 times the cost but it lasts 3 or 4 times longer.

I’ll pipe in and say don’t use heater hose for this, it’s not rated for oil and will/may swell and cause problems, as in plugged breather, mystery oil leaks, pushed out crank seals etc.
Tim Andres

Edit, I’ll add I imagine Vans knows this and that hose supplied is rated for oil, regular heater hose isn’t.

Last edited:
ACS silicone is a good option

ACS blue hose with silicone liner is excellent for this application.AntisplatAero supplies it with their vent kits.

I used the Earl's Performance push-on hose. Made for coolant or oil. Should hold up well.

FP26022013A0001V.jpg

I depends on the quality of the rubber. Heater hose is typically not rated for contact with oil. I used heater hose and within 6 months it was weeping the oil through and the exterior of the hose was getting a light coating of oil. Replaced with oil rated hose and now all good.

Larry

This is the reason I asked the question. I looked up the spec on the NAPA website and it appears to just be regular heater hose. I am planning to use a hose rated for this application. Thanks again!

I depends on the quality of the rubber. Heater hose is typically not rated for contact with oil. I used heater hose and within 6 months it was weeping the oil through and the exterior of the hose was getting a light coating of oil. Replaced with oil rated hose and now all good.

Larry

+1
Have had heater hose on two aircraft and while it works, both times it got sticky on the outside pretty quickly. Won't go that route again.

This is the reason I asked the question. I looked up the spec on the NAPA website and it appears to just be regular heater hose. I am planning to use a hose rated for this application. Thanks again!

Mcmaster sells all sorts of hose and gives good details on what the hose is compatible with. I got mine there.

Larry

Charles, several place have pre-molded silicone hoses that will be just fine in your application. IF you were to have some blowby with oil and not vapor, it can deteriorate the hose liner, make it swell or crack. Those her that have used it probably have low blow by engines.
Email me and I'll give you a place to source some of the silicone hose.
Tom

Back