What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Puppies in a RV8-It Can Be Done

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
Several years ago, I was active in Pilots N Paws when I owned a Bonanza. It was a great plane to haul almost any size dog. In fact, I hauled so many aged and injured Pit Bulls, I took to calling my plane "the Pit Special"...ha. I sold the Bonanza and aside from a brief interlude with a Cirrus, I didn't have a plane to continue hauling animals and gave up on it temporarily.

I always found it very rewarding and always intended to do it again after I finished up the -8, but always wondered about how realistic it would be considering the space available. Seeing some of the recent stories reawakened those thoughts and I recently and unexpectedly had an opportunity to jump back into it right before Oshkosh. It's a story of two coincidences.

Out of the blue and with no action on my part, and for the first time in years, I was contacted by a rescue organization based in WI and asked if I could fly 8 puppies (later to be 4 puppies) from Magee, MS to my home airport Fayette County, TN. That was convenient! The pilot I would hand them off to happened to be someone I had met for the first time less than 24 hours prior to be contacted and whose hangar is less that 50 yards from my own. What are the odds? Sean would then fly them to Waupaca WI on his way to Oshkosh.

Needless to say, a RV-8 is not a freight hauling machine and I was concerned about the weight and the size of the crate with 4 puppies in it. The puppies averaged about 6 lbs each and the foster mom found a small crate for them. I removed the back seat and laid a moving blanket down to quieten things a little and it all fit fine.

pnp1.jpg

We kept the dogs overnight and my daughter, a former vet tech, and my wife, a certified dog nut, just fawned over them for hours. They named them. I was afraid they would want to keep them. They had a great time in our backyard.

pnp3.jpg

Later they had a good night's sleep in one of our crates after some energetic wrasslin'.

pnp2.jpg

I took them to the airport the next morning to meet Sean's wife and daughter, who fostered them for one night. I heard later from Sean that they were named again. Those were four spoiled little dogs and now they are residents of WI courtesy of Pilots N Paws.

It was just as rewarding as I remember, and I'm looking forward to another mission if I can find one with smaller animals in my area.

Made my day

Awesome story and pics Mark. Thanks for sharing. Our family has adopted a number of rescues over the years and loved every one. Hearing from someone who has successfully combined two things I care about is inspiring.

Great thing to do.

I have seen this done in an 8 before. We have a very good friend in Houston that likes to do the Pilots and Paws flights, with his 8. You can get a bigger dog cage in the back and can hall some good sized dogs and other critters.
Very good program to be involved in if you have the time.
Good work, keep it going. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

That looks like a great set up! My wife is very involved with rescue here in Ga and has asked me several times about helping PNP with my RV8. One of my concerns has been noise (I know that in the life/euthanasia equation noise is low concern). I do not have mufflers, and had been concerned about a dog?s reaction to the noise level - the pups you flew certainly look like happy campers

That looks like a great set up! My wife is very involved with rescue here in Ga and has asked me several times about helping PNP with my RV8. One of my concerns has been noise (I know that in the life/euthanasia equation noise is low concern). I do not have mufflers, and had been concerned about a dog?s reaction to the noise level - the pups you flew certainly look like happy campers

I've never tried the ear muffs, not that I would have had 4 pairs for puppies anyway. It's a min-max decision and the alternative is worse. Of all the dogs I've flown, the noise hasn't been an issue. They tend to sleep through it all, as far as I can tell from the cockpit.

What a cool story! Great pics!

So, being new to the RV world, my question might be dumb... but how difficult is it to remove the rear seat?

What a cool story! Great pics!

So, being new to the RV world, my question might be dumb... but how difficult is it to remove the rear seat?

All you have to do is remove the seat back, which is held in with a segment of piano hinge. Just pull the hinge pins and remove. Piece of cake! The seat cushion sits on the floor so there's nothing to remove there except the cushion

Back