What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Going to look at a RV-8 project

Norcalrv7

Well Known Member
Hello All. I own a flying RV-7. I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a partially built RV-8. From what I understand the airframe is about 75% built. The original builder has unfortunately passed away. I am not new to sheet metal and airplane building, But curious about the hot items to look for on a RV-8 aside from general build quality. I believe there was a change in wing spar design, any easy way to spot this? Will be going to inspect the project soon, and take pictures. Also, not sure if the build logs will be available, and how difficult it might be to finish paperwork/inspection.

Caleb

Yes.

I do not remember off hand the date of the change but it would have been in the early 2,000's 2-3-4 or 5. I would have to look at my build log. I flew with John in number two just a few weeks before it went down. That got our attention and we waited a full year before ordering the new "dash one" for our build.
If I remember correctly two things will tell you. One the serial number on the wing kit and the wing it's self will have a dash, then a one after that and the root of the spar will be a little bigger in cross section from the older one to the dash one. It mite help if I say I think both or good to go if you stay within the limits set out by Van's. The newer one just gives you a little more weight to carry while operating within the C.G. limits set out by Van's for aerobatic operations. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Back