What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Route 66 Trip Advice

Allen Rice

Planning a Route 66 trip this Fall, Chicago Midway to Santa Monica in my 9A. Any suggestions on mandatory 'can't miss' stops and preferred mountain routes? We are going to take our time and do a lot of sightseeing/pictures along the way. Thanks.

Peach Springs/Grand Cavern Caverns AZ

There is an air strip right on Rt 66 near Peach Springs and the Grand Canyon Caverns

If the route map you posted is what you want to fly, you won't have trouble crossing the mountains east of Albuquerque. I'd suggest stopping in at Sedona, Az. Very picturesque. You can rent a Jeep at the airport and go exploring. I'd also second the Grand Canyon over flight. There are several worthwhile stops in Oklahoma that are related to the old Route 66.

Here's a link to more info:

http://www.travelok.com/article_page/oklahomas-top-attractions-along-route-66

Joe

Let me know when you are coming through Oklahoma and I may be able to gather up some RV friends and meet you at an airport for lunch.

Wigwam Hotel

The historic La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ is pretty cool and worth a night's stay. You can land at Seligman, AZ and take a short hike to the Road Kill Cafe or West Side Lalos.

Last edited:
La Posada

If you are interested in the history of route 66 and the Santa Fe line it follows, land at Winslow, AZ and go to the only restored Harvey House resort from the golden age of rail travel! It sits between 66 and the rail line--much info about it on the internet!! Lunch or dinner in the turquoise room!

Cheers,

db

Oatman?

Oatman, AZ might be fun. I guess you'd have to land either at Bullhead City or Kingman and drive.

Steak in Amarillo, TX

Amarillo and the Big Texan steakhouse, with free "cowboy Limo" pickup -

1-600x337.jpg

And a free steak if you can eat all of this, and the fixins', in one hour.

72ozsteak.jpg

We used Tradwind Airport a few years ago and were treated well after an alternator failure on my Tiger.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KTDW

If you are interested in the history of route 66 and the Santa Fe line it follows, land at Winslow, AZ and go to the only restored Harvey House resort from the golden age of rail travel! It sits between 66 and the rail line--much info about it on the internet!! Lunch or dinner in the turquoise room!

Cheers,

db

The Posada is interesting and well restored and you will be landing at Winslow Airport, designed by Charles Lindbergh for TAT Airlines and the early combined train/plane US crossing route.

Allow time for a short walk from the Posada to the the "Standing on the Corner" statue on Route 66. Complete with a painted-on reflection of the girl in the flat bed Ford and a eagle in the window. :)

15272124446_fc494d98f3.jpg

Williams AZ

Williams (CMR) is on 66, nice small town, the train leaves there to go to the Grand Canyon, that's a fun ALL day trip. Or land at Valle (40G) and visit the museum, its Chino's auxiliary site. Swing by Sedona (SEZ) and check out the red rocks. Cottonwood (P52) just south of sedona has cheap gas.

Williams (CMR) is on 66, nice small town, the train leaves there to go to the Grand Canyon, that's a fun ALL day trip. Or land at Valle (40G) and visit the museum, its Chino's auxiliary site. Swing by Sedona (SEZ) and check out the red rocks. Cottonwood (P52) just south of sedona has cheap gas.

And if you don't do the Wiliams train to the Grand Canyon, another train ride goes from Cottonwood up a picturesque canyon -

https://verdecanyonrr.com/journey/

It's on my list for this fall. :)

Last edited:
Route 66

Weatherford, ok, airport , Stanford field, has an excellent aviation museum. Literally right on I40, 66.
RV9A Bill

Verde valley

I've done the Verde valley railroad, real nice fun trip.
Make sure you upgrade to first class.
Also had open air car to watch the world go by.

La Posada Hotel

My wife and I just stayed at La Posada in March. Wonderful historical hotel. Reasonable rates with an amazing 5 star restaurant. As Gil mentioned "Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona" is about a 5 minute walk.

La Posada

And if you do stop by for lunch or dinner at the Turquoise Room, be sure to have their signature black bean and corn chowder soup--incredible!!!

Cheers,

db

Crater

Don't miss Meteor Crater between Winslow & Sedona.
Also Winslow is on the S edge of Navaho country & a great place to get turquoise and bead work

A close first stop from Midway, would be Pontiac Il they have a nice route 66 museum plus other museums down town. KPNT airport has a car to use or if you can give me a heads up on when you would be there I can give you a car to use. My RV7A is at KPNT. See city ad visitpontiac.org .

Dave Kewley
N25DK

If you can deviate a bit from flight path, try to see Monument Valley.

Yes to Sedona - Take the Pink Jeep Tour about $50 for a 3 hour tour. A great way to see the sights if on a time-schedule.

Also land at Bullhead City and visit Laughlin, NV Take the $10 90 minute narrated boat tour. Play a few games, eat one of their famous buffets.

Here is a nice loop tour.
If you can rent a car, drive from Bullhead to Oatman,AZ cowboy town, continue onto Kingman and stop at the railroad park. That stretch from Oatman to Kingman is a breathtaking ride. Take a quick drive to Kingman airport and see all the commercial planes outside in dry storage. Must be over 100+ of them. Continue onto Chloride, AZ and hike 1/2 mile to see the painted rock murals. Continue back to Bullhead. Some parts of this drive are on connecting parts of Route 66.

Seligman, AZ, is a wonderfully tacky Route 66 tourist trap. Whatever airport KAAA is in Illinois has a unique aircraft engine on display. The Palo Duro Canyon south of Amarillo has pretty hiking. Grand Canyon, of course. Verde Canyon scenic railroad in Clarksdale, AZ is great, also the Blazin' M Ranch near by for good food, good music and general tomfoolery. The national parks in southern Utah are on my bucket list. Don't recall but restricted areas in Southern California might modify your route. Oklahoma City bombing memorial is touching. Lotsa fun!

Route 66

Here's some info on the Thomas P. Stafford Air & Space Museum located at the Weatherford Oklahoma airport(KOJA). http://staffordmuseum.org/ The museum is awesome.
Historic Lucille's Roadhouse restaurant is a short jaunt down old route 66 in the courtesy car.

Williams AZ

The airport is only 3 miles north of town. Definitely take the tour train to the Grand Canyon. Down town Williams is full of great restaurants, bars and history.

I would make this a MUST stop location. As mentioned and only 15 minutes south is Sedona. Beautiful country. You can do a helicopter tour there too.

Finally, make sure you have the proper charts if you are going to fly over the Grand Canyon. Worth it of sure!!

Awesome trip!

Man, what an awesome trip you're going to have! I flew from Waukegan to LA a few years back hitting a bunch of airports on the way and it was such a memorable experience.

Some great suggestions from everyone. 'll reiterate Sedona and Monument Valley if you have time (supposed to call to get permission to land at MV) because those were both really cool.

Keep in mind there's some pretty long stretches of nothingness once you get out west. Plan accordingly.

Have fun!

Route 66

Airport restaurants at Winslow, Flagstaff, Sedona and Kingman. Restaurants walking distance at Gallup, Holbrook and Seligman. At Seligman take the path inside the fence.

Gil,

I hit the website after looking your picture of that steak. From the top... no problem. When you see the altitude of that cut... a whole new story! I think it enters class Alpha airspace! hahaha That is a chunk of meat for sure!

I hope to make it through that area this summer. If I do, I will surely pay the Big Texan Steakhouse a visit on my way out west to Arizona.

Thanks for the tip!

;) CJ

correction

Paved walking path at Seligman starts immediately outside the gate and ends in dirt 1 block north of Rt 66.
I use Skyvector.com and on the airport page look at the satellite view for motels, restaurants et.
The restaurant just outside the terminal at Gallup is open 430 to 10 pm.
Skyvector gives access to the Grand Canyon special VFR charts.
Canyon DE Chelly is another scenic jeep tour. Chinle airport E91, tiedowns only. Long walk to town, I believe Holiday Inn will pick up at airport if you stay there.

The Posada is interesting and well restored and you will be landing at Winslow Airport, designed by Charles Lindbergh for TAT Airlines and the early combined train/plane US crossing route.

Allow time for a short walk from the Posada to the the "Standing on the Corner" statue on Route 66. Complete with a painted-on reflection of the girl in the flat bed Ford and a eagle in the window. :)

15272124446_fc494d98f3.jpg

A long time family friend who is a guitar player of some talent has been doing some traveling in his retirement. I have a picture of him in front of that "window" with the girl my lord in a flatbed Ford in the background. This is sounding like an interesting trip. I had never thought about doing it in an airplane. I was just going to drive it when I got around to making this journey.

The Ninety-Nines have a museum at KOKC, and there are a number of good airport restaurants in the area as well (KPWA, KOUN, KPNC has a great Mexican joint called Enrique's, though it's a bit north of the route--call to check their hours). There's the JM David Arms & Historical Museum in Claremore (http://www.thegunmuseum.com), and the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (https://nationalcowboymuseum.org/) in NE OKC. There's also a banjo museum in downtown OKC if your tastes run that way.

What are your interests?

I'll second the recommendation for Sundance (HSD) in Oklahoma City for fuel and/or overnight. Great fuel prices, very good FBO staff, and last year when we stopped in to visit friends they had Range Rovers for crew cars!
Three years ago, my brother and I flew out to Scottsdale to see some spring training baseball. Our fuel stop from Bentonville, AR to Scottsdale was Tucumcari, NM (TCC). Another good Route 66 stop. Good fuel prices. The city had an old police cruiser as the crew car. Still had the spotlight mounted on the side. They directed us to a great diner downtown. Several nice restored Route 66 motels, including one that has a garage for each room.

Route 66

Del's restaurant in tucumcari is really good. OKC has an entertainment district called bricktown that is worth a visit. We would drive you around.
RV9A Bill

I'll second the recommendation for Sundance (HSD) in Oklahoma City for fuel and/or overnight. Great fuel prices, very good FBO staff, and last year when we stopped in to visit friends they had Range Rovers for crew cars!
Three years ago, my brother and I flew out to Scottsdale to see some spring training baseball. Our fuel stop from Bentonville, AR to Scottsdale was Tucumcari, NM (TCC). Another good Route 66 stop. Good fuel prices. The city had an old police cruiser as the crew car. Still had the spotlight mounted on the side. They directed us to a great diner downtown. Several nice restored Route 66 motels, including one that has a garage for each room.

The motel that has the garage is the Blue Swallow. We stayed there a few weeks ago.

Good food

The "Hangar Cafe" at Kingsley field ( MO9 ) 27 miles east of Joplin,Mo.
( JLN ) has good old home cooking, deserts, and prices. Open 7 days
a week. Good grass strip (nose wheel OK ) Be aware of ag and skydiving
Operations. Our favorite fly to for food destination!!

Doug Mcmullin
RV 6
Ottawa, Ks.

Back