What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D100 Problems with PC interface

lr172

Well Known Member
Hoping the Dynon Support team can help me. I continue to have problems downloading log files from my D120. I have tried two different computers and a few interface cables with updated drivers. In the past it took between 20 minutes and an hour. I tried several times this evening and in every attempt it just slows to a crawl. It flies along through the first 500 blocks then slows. By block 1000, it is taking a couple of minutes for each increment of 10. I didn't have the hours necessary to get through the 42,000 blocks total. I repeated this 4-5 times with the same behavior/result.

Very frustrating. I wasted over 2 hours and still don't have the data that I would like to review. Can you offer some suggestions. I have called support in the past with no real constructive help.

Larry

Frustrating, watching a D-120 download data for two hours! I have a D-100 and D-120 and perform that function regularly. What about the other functions that you can perform when the PC is connected such as check software level, upload checklists, etc. do these work as expected?

A few suggestions below:

If not already I would check the integrity of the DB9 harness connections. There are only 3 wires: Tx, Rx and Gnd. Any loose connection can disrupt your downloads.

Also, the D-120 has the option of connecting to a GPS unit or SL30 device. They both share the same Rx channel. When updating the D-100 or D-120 Dynon states: "You will need a way to disconnect both lines when you plug your EFIS into a PC for firmware updates and checklist" It doesn't specify a disconnect for log retrieval. However, I always disconnect mine (via a toggle switch) when I connect my PC to the D-120 for both updates and log retrieval. If you have yours connected to an SL30 (or other), slide the gps/SL30 unit out a few inches to disconnect the serial connection and see if that makes any difference.

Good luck.

Slow download

I had the same problem with my D10-A and EMS-10.
Try disabling your antivirus before the down load. Works for me.
Rich

Frustrating, watching a D-120 download data for two hours! I have a D-100 and D-120 and perform that function regularly. What about the other functions that you can perform when the PC is connected such as check software level, upload checklists, etc. do these work as expected?

A few suggestions below:

If not already I would check the integrity of the DB9 harness connections. There are only 3 wires: Tx, Rx and Gnd. Any loose connection can disrupt your downloads.

Also, the D-120 has the option of connecting to a GPS unit or SL30 device. They both share the same Rx channel. When updating the D-100 or D-120 Dynon states: "You will need a way to disconnect both lines when you plug your EFIS into a PC for firmware updates and checklist" It doesn't specify a disconnect for log retrieval. However, I always disconnect mine (via a toggle switch) when I connect my PC to the D-120 for both updates and log retrieval. If you have yours connected to an SL30 (or other), slide the gps/SL30 unit out a few inches to disconnect the serial connection and see if that makes any difference.

Good luck.

Updates done over the summer with no noticeable issues or unpleasant delays. It's just retrieving log files that is a real problem. I believe it is the Support program (PC appl) that is the problem, not the D-120.

Larry

I had the same problem with my D10-A and EMS-10.
Try disabling your antivirus before the down load. Works for me.
Rich

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that. I am in the Software business and it feel like the PC app is chasing it's tail, I just can't figure out why or what the interaction issue is.

Larry

Thanks for the help here. I tried a third computer with no AV s/w and not much on it. It worked well. Clearly the Dynon s/w is not playing well with others:)

I would have stated it the other way around. The A/V software does not play well with others :)

I also work in the software industry. We are always learning how things can break as the A/V industry comes up with new ways to break things.

Back