VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Good morning everyone,

We really appreciate the feedback and have been reviewing your suggestions. There are always more things we would like to do than we can get done, but getting this feedback from the field is very helpful for prioritizing new features and improvements.

There are a couple items requested that we already support:
  • If you have a GDL 39 ADS-B receiver, you can hard wire the GDL to one of the displays and Bluetooth connect to another display. This would allow you to display ADS-B traffic and weather on both the MFD and PFD if desired.
  • G3X has always supported OBS mode. You can use OBS mode whether you are flying on the internal GPS or listening to an external navigator like the GTN. More detail can be found in the pilot guides.
Thanks,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Connell View Post
3. Tach or Hobbs time in small font inside tach on the front page. Saves having to scroll to EIS page to work out TIS.

5. User defined hierarchy and positioning for the EIS display elements on the PFD.

6. The EIS page needs some refinement. There's no need for most aircraft systems to split it into engine, electrical etc..just means more button (screen) pushing.
I'll second the items above.

In addition:
  • Rubber-banding flight plans - not sure if the latest software version has this yet, but the release running at OSH14 didn't.
  • Sharing XM weather data between the screens.
  • Pushing a flightplan created on the G3X to a GTN. If I can push an iPad created flightplan to the GTN thru flightstream, it seems crazy to me that I can't push a flight plan from a Garmin device to a GTN.
  • I also like the idea of airspaces in the profile view. That would be great for us flying in complicated airspace!
  • Display Virb video thru Wifi to the G3X. I can do this with my ipad. It would be great to be able to do the same on my MFD, so I don't have to have a piece of coax running to anywhere I might want to mount a camera
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
I'll second the items above.

In addition:
  • Rubber-banding flight plans - not sure if the latest software version has this yet, but the release running at OSH14 didn't.
Hi Ed,

This function was actually added in G3X Touch v2.80. The feature is formally known as graphical flight plan editing. Simply press the MENU button when your on the FPL page. Couple screenshots below for reference.

Thanks,
Brian

Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM

The profile view for both airspace and terrain would be very helpful, but in the G3X and in the Garmin Pilot app for planning purposes.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM

I'd love to have a RV-7 icon (on the map views) instead of the generic plane ones now.

Based on the latest Dynon upgrades, this looks like it should be doable.

Last edited by UnPossible : 01-23-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hi Ed,

This function was actually added in G3X Touch v2.80. The feature is formally known as graphical flight plan editing. Simply press the MENU button when your on the FPL page. Couple screenshots below for reference.

Thanks,
Brian
Awesome! I'm excited to get these screens installed and powered up in the next month or so!
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 AM

Default Approach selection

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here in this helpful forum.

In a couple of months I will own a RV10 with G3X touch and a GNC255 as a radio navigation source.

I think it would be a nice feature if when I'd select an approach in the G3X, for example, ILS one, the system automatically changes the nav frequency on the GNC255 and loads the approach profile on G3X system as if it were linked into a GTN.

This would make lesser the workload and at the same time a more intuitive procedure.

Excuse me if this feature already exists.

The profile view of airspace it's a very good idea to adopt on G3X.

Regards from Brazil,

Matheus.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 AM

Default Loading standby frequencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus View Post
Hello everyone.

This is my first post here in this helpful forum.

In a couple of months I will own a RV10 with G3X touch and a GNC255 as a radio navigation source.

I think it would be a nice feature if when I'd select an approach in the G3X, for example, ILS one, the system automatically changes the nav frequency on the GNC255 and loads the approach profile on G3X system as if it were linked into a GTN.

This would make lesser the workload and at the same time a more intuitive procedure.

Excuse me if this feature already exists.

The profile view of airspace it's a very good idea to adopt on G3X.

Regards from Brazil,

Matheus.
Matheus,

Welcome to VAF! To answer your question, we do support the ability to tune the standby NAV frequency from the G3X display. If you have the GNC 255 connected, you will have the option to tune the approach NAV frequency to the standby. So one selection to tune the standby, then just hit the swap button on the GNC when you're ready to activate it. You can do this outside of the approach selection as well. For example, when viewing frequencies on the waypoint information page.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-27-2015, 12:37 PM

So if I input a flight plan to my G3X system, will it push to the GTN750/650?

Or do I have to input on the 750/650 and see it crossfill to the G3X?
RV4 - Skyview Sold!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
So if I input a flight plan to my G3X system, will it push to the GTN750/650?
The short answer is no, G3X does not push it's internal flight plan to the GTN. You can enter flight plans directly on the GTN or using Garmin Pilot and importing via Connext. Importing a flight plan from Garmin Pilot results in a prompt on the GTN telling you there is a new flight plan import to review. Upon review, you have the option to activate. We never allow the flight plan to be changed on the GTN without some kind of pilot action on the GTN.

Another nice feature of Garmin Pilot, it has the ability to auto-sync with the system. For example, if flight plan changes are made on the GTN, Garmin Pilot can be set to automatically update. Similarly, G3X in "External" flight planning mode will slave to the GTN flight plan.

The G3X system uses "Internal" and "External" flight planning mode (selected from the FPL page) to provide a clear division between the internal VFR flight planning capability of the G3X and slaving the system to an external navigator that is designed for IFR operation. If you are flying VFR and you prefer to use the G3X flight planning, no problem. Simply put the system in "Internal" flight planning mode. If you are flying IFR, you should be using the external navigator for flight planning. This will help keep you proficient using the external navigator which is what will be required for loading/activating approaches, etc. when you really need it.

Thanks,
Brian