What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermediate Flap Positions

bruceh

Well Known Member
The Vertical Power VP-X allows a couple of different options on the positioning of the flaps automatically.

I'm wondering what the best advice is on having either one intermediate setting, or two for the flaps on the RV-9?

For example, 0-10-20-30, or 0-15-30, or 0-10-30 degrees, or something else?

Bruce,

I, and everyone else I know uses only zero, half and full flaps.

It is how I set up mu -7.

If I were you, I would do the same for the -9A.

I am guessing that others will come back and say similar?

:) CJ

Hello Bruce,
I never config. mine to stop at any certain point. I thought it best for me to determine that at the moment. But I can see how that might be good too.
Dave

Hi Bruce,

I'll probably get flamed for this but, I normally put in 10 deg of flaps on entering downwind (~90kts) to slow down a bit (into white arc) and then full flaps just before entering base. This seems to works well most of the time. If landing with strong crosswinds I would probably go with the 10 to 15 deg.

YMMV
Bill

Flaps

I set mine up with 10,20,30- similar to most other planes I've flown, except Grumman tiger- just a momentary switch in that one. The vertical power can prevent high speed flap deployment- I really like that unit!!

OK, I don't have a FPS in my -9. Thus, I can set them wherever I want/need.

With .5 of a Vlad unit of flight time (500 hours), I found I lower the flaps to match a lowered aileron for soft and/or short field taxing and takeoff.

For landings, I make it real simple, I put in full flaps a beam my touchdown point and trim it for either 55 or 60 knots depending on my load and wind conditions. Even with windy crosswinds I use full flaps. I have found this technique reduces workload because you have eliminated flap deployments and trim changes during a critical phase of flight.

Added: What I'm saying is that once you fly your -9, you will adjust you FPS to fit your flying style.

Last edited:
Back