What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Z-12 Diagram and AFS Control Module

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
I am finalizing my panel and engine choices for my RV9A slider. Consider dual Efii ignition and a quick panel from AFS that uses their Control Module for a lot of the wiring and circuit breakers. I am an electrical novice, but can read the diagram provided by B&C for the single battery and standby alternator.

What I can't picture is how the AFS control module fits into the picture since that module is many things in one box. Is this going to be a valid combination of components? Can anyone share their modified diagram using this combination?

The ADVANCED Quick Panel System and similar systems most likely work as advertised. However I do not think that there is much advantage in using these systems over wiring the aircraft yourself using Bob Nuckolls' diagrams and avionics manufactures wiring diagrams. Disadvantages of the factory module systems are cost and weight. And if some brands fail, it is necessary to send the unit back to the manufacturer for repair, if they are still in business. Compare that to replacing a fuse or switch in a panel that you have wired yourself. Some electrically challenged builders are afraid to wire their own panel. It might seem like a daunting task when looking at the whole system. But if the novice picks just one wire and terminates each end per the schematic, then it is easy. Just repeat that with each wire until there are no more. It is like building the airframe, one rivet at at time. Use wire ID markers and keep wiring diagrams and you or a future owner will be able to troubleshoot and make repairs.

The ADVANCED Quick Panel System and similar systems most likely work as advertised. However I do not think that there is much advantage in using these systems over wiring the aircraft yourself using Bob Nuckolls' diagrams and avionics manufactures wiring diagrams.

Most of the wiring in the Advanced Control Module is not controlled by the ACM CPU, all of the Avionics power is controlled by two separate PCB mounted avionics relays. If one of the Avionics relays were to fail you should still have one of the radios and EFIS screens.

I suspect that if Mich48041 spent a week on any Avionics Manufacturers (or Van's) phone support line he would have a radically different opinion.:confused:
Every week we are amazed at some of the wiring mistakes people (and experienced Avionics shops) make.

Advantages of the ACM

1. Easier to install
2. Easier to trouble shoot, something is wrong you can replace a cable in about 5 minutes.
3. No external ARINC module, flap controller, dimmer, or lighting controller module to wire.
5. High current loads for Nav Lights, Strobe Lights, Landing Lights, Pitot Heat, Fans and Autopilot do not go through the panel switches making them last longer.
6. PCB plug mounted panel switches eliminates all the panel switch wiring, plug in our ribbon cable and you are done.

7. UPGRADABILITY . Wiring a new GPS navigator will only take about 5 minutes. With the ACM module you can rewire from a GNS-430W to a GTN-650 in minutes and it will work the first time. With a hard wired panel that would be a large and expensive job. It took me over 8 hours to upgrade my RV-10 from a 430W to the GTN-650 and I am usually pretty fast at wiring.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

The advantages of the QP are the reason I'm considering one. However the panel is not the only system in an aircraft and they all must work together.

I"m just looking for someone who has used the control module with a base wiring diagram with two alternators. z-12 or z-13/8. If they could share their experience and what to expect in this scenario.

So far all of the quick panels have been used on single alternator systems. There is nothing that should prevent you from using two alternators with it. We can help you with the electrical schematic if you really want two alternators in a RV-9.

We are currently building a RV-10 panel with the EFII ignition. Normally Electronic Ignition should be powered before the Master Relay and not by our ACM.

If you are only going to have electronic ignition I suspect you should have dual batteries for redundancy.

Give me a call or send me an email and I can help you with it.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N402RH RV-10

16247360035_f72649ddc3_k.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Rob, that is a rather interesting schematic-------is the control box something you ever plan on selling as a stand alone unit?, from what I see in the drawing it should be usable to folks even if they are running a different EFIS than yours.

Do you incorporate Dynon connectability with it already?

The ACM was designed for both AFS and Dynon Skyview systems. It has a built in 4 port Skyview network hub and the Dynon ARINC module. All of the Dynon Autopilot servo network connections are also done inside the box eliminating external complexity.

I suspect that once we get caught up on panel deliveries we will offer the ACM without a panel.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Back