What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Disappearing Pictures

David Paule

Well Known Member
There have been a few threads now that have the pictures gone.

What I've started to do is save the whole thread, pictures and all. My internet browser is Firefox, and under Files, click on Save Page As. The thread page will be saved as am HTML file and a folder, both with the same names. I'm storing these in a folder on my hard drive that I call VAF. It would be easy to put in sub-folders to sort them easier if I wanted to.

I'm sure that other browsers can do this, too.

I know that some of you who originally posted them are still active, so if possible, it would be a kindness to repost them.

Thanks very much!

Dave

I was shot down when I offered a suggestion on this issue recently.
My Rv-9A site will be going dark soon, and many of the thousand or so postings I made over the last decade will have dead links to the pictures.

I run my own web server, so I am in control of this, but many posters use third party hosting services that are uncontrolled.

A lot of knowlege is dissappearing as a result. Some of this is fundamentally important to new builders.

I offer no solutions and will keep my opinions to myself.

Have noticed now some pics just have an x instead of the pic but I can right click on it and then hit show pic, is this what you are talking about? I use win7 and explorer.

I checked the wayback machine and it looks like most VAF threads are not archived, so I'll leave that suggestion off. We don't pay Doug enough to support a photo archive to go along with the site, not to mention the headaches of supporting it. And then there are people who remove their images because they no longer, for their own reasons, want to have the pictures public. As far as I know, the optimal solution is to save pictures of interest, as the OP is doing, and ask politely for removed pictures with the understanding that they may just not be available anymore.

Mostly this issue is caused by photo hosting sites that claimed they would host em forever but failed in delivering that or they moved where they are hosting em leaving the links broken.

I know I have hundreds of broken links. Unfortunately it is difficult to impossible for me to fix em since I don't know exactly what pic it was or if I even still have it nor do I have the free time to try and fix em.

The problem of broken links is only gonna get worse and it is definitely a loss to this forum!

Back