What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avmap EKP IV to EKP V instal problem

Ken9

I have been using my Avmap EKP-IV for 4 years and really like it. I installed it on my panel using the supplied mounting plate with standard antenna, serial and power cables running thru a 3/4" diameter hole. It is driving my Trutrac autopilot and AFS 3500S EFIS.

Recently I received an offer to trade in the EKP-IV, along with $650 for a new EKP-V. I would love to do that but it sounds like I would have to purchase a $300 dock to get the autopilot interface. That makes no sense to me. Why can't I make my own mounting plate and hard wire it like the old unit? I also do not have room to cut a large hole in my panel to recess the dock.

Has anyone tried the instal process I am contemplating?

I considered that, but it looks like you need the dock to get the NEMA serial out. I don't actually have the unit so I may be wrong.

Ken,

Below in Italic is from the AvMap site on how to connect the autopilot via the USB charging cable. If I remember correctly, I had it connected my autopilot via this method prior to getting a docking station.

EKP V can be connected to the autopilot using the ?USB ? serial converter cable? .
You can find it on AvMap Store ? Aeronautical accessories ? EKP V.

This cable must be connected to the USB connections of the power cigarette cable. When the device has been connected to the cigarette ? USB plug the a window will be shown.

The customer has to set ?Autopilot? and then ?Menu ? Tools ? Autopilot?. In this menu the customer will can set the interface connections settings in according with the istructions of the autopilot user manual.

As a resume please follow these standard istructions:

- Connect the TX pin of our SERIAL SPARE PART (USB-Serial or Docking Station serial when it will be available) to the RX pin of the autopilot.

- Then connect both GND (ground) pins together.

- To find the correct pins location on the autopilot please refer to the Autopilot User Manual itself.

There is a diagram but I can't past in in so here is the URL to the page http://www.avmap.us/index.php?swt=0303&ipr=627&fsrch=&cprd=627

Without the docking station you cannot connect the external GPS antenna (which comes with the D.Station). I found that the built-in antenna was worthless when the unit was installed in the panel (antenna is shielded by glare screen).

YMMV
Bill

Thanks for the reply. If this is true, the external antenna can not be used without the dock, there is no reason for me to buy the unit.
I do not understand why they would do this. I'm sure a large percentage of people who would buy the unit would want to instal it as I do.

Back