What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming small portions of plexiglass

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
When I made the big cut I gave myself plenty of extra off the front bow. Anywhere from 1/4 inch down to almost nothing to be trimmed. So yeah it is not exactly straight from the left to right side Is it better to trim this off using a cutting disc or with a belt sander? I have made all my other cuts using a diamond cutting wheel in a dremel. If a belt sander what would be the lowest grit paper to use?

I used a belt sander, little tiny one with half inch wide belt, runs on an air die grinder.

Trim plexi

A vixen file is one approach that will stay cool, make a straight surface and give time to approach the finish line carefully.

I've used a sanding disk on an angle grinder (small diameter) to get a lot of stuff off, then a belt sander with a moderately fine grit to get the final bit and make it straight.

I used a 4" (wide not long) hand held belt sander with an 80 grit belt. Use a light touch along the length of the edge, and keep it moving. I marked the areas to be cut with a sharpie or could not tell what needed to be done.

I also used various lengths of mdf for sanding boards 4 to 12 inches long and worked down (up?) from 100 to 800 grit to polish the edges.

I worked solo so was not happy with the plexi flopping around so made a cradle for it.

PS - If you have a tip up, the front will pucker up when you snug the sides against the rails. Beware of trimming it too perfectly to early.

Last edited:
Back