What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

San Diego Hangar Options?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Well, i'm projecting that I may be in need of moving my project to a hanger, somewhere around first quarter 2014. This would be for final assembly, phase 1 and thereafter...

So i'm wondering if anyone will be looking for a hangar mate around that time or what some of the best options or preferred locations are. Are hangars generally available, what's the going rate, etc. I Live near I-5 & 52.

KMYF, KSEE, KRNM, KCRQ, KOKB, KSDM

you can PM or email too, [email protected]

Thank you,

Just priced Oceanside (KOKB). They wanted $500 for an old hangar with a leaky roof. The lease agreement clearly states they are not going to fix the roof.

Wouldn't be your best option for phase 1 flight testing either. I would look at Romona, Gillespie or Fallbrook. Having easy access to the desert is your best bet for a large flight testing area.

Derek,
I think there are only a few options for flying off phase 1 in San Diego, RNM, SDM, or L18 and not sure about OKB. I'm at RNM and there are some hangars available but not sure about price. Of those listed RNM probably has more flyable days due to being inland and away from the marine layer that often keeps the lower elevation airports IFR for part of the day.
Call this # and ask about hangar prices they should be able to help.
(Phone: 760/789-8178 Chuck Hall Aviation).
By the way, there are about a dozen RVs based @ RNM.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I was thinking phase one might not be an option out of some airports around here. What Peter said about OKB certainly wasn't very encouraging. I'll give Ramona a call, probably check into Gilespie as well.

As of yesterday, at KSEE, there was a hangar for rent sign posted at the entrance to the airport cafe / tower parking lot. Safari West Aviation or Sky Harbor may also have hangars available for rent. There is an RV builders group located at the Sky Harbor hangar complex.

Also give Phil Yoon at KSEE a call at Wings & Wrenches, 619-449-9464 (office), [email protected]. Phil is a great guy and perhaps would give you the best deal in a shared hangar space.

Ramona would be a better location for phase one and possibly have lower hangar rental rates, however your drive distance to the airport is considerably longer.

Regards,

KSEE

Derek,
I am at Sky Harbor on the North Side of Gillespie. A huge component of RVs here, both builders and flyers. Email me if you have any questions. Gillespie is a great airport, but I believe you will have to fly out of Ramona for Phase 1. Last I checked, the hangars at Ramona were significantly more expensive than Gillespie, but things change.

Dan

Hangar at Brown field

I just got a Tee hangar at brown field and would be willing to sublet part of it for a while. It's a "Port-A-Port" small twin so plenty of room. I'm storing my wings in there right now and I'm not going to be moving down there for about year. I have a drill press and air compressor in there now that you are welcome to use. You can fly off your 40 hours at brown but I don't think you can at KSEE. When I'm ready to move my plane down you might get evicetd, I don't think there is room for two RVs but, hopefully you will have finished your 40 hours by then... There are a few hangars availabe there as well through San Diego Jet Center but, one with utilities is around $500.00/month and you will need insurance another $40/month. Alos, Brown has an 8000 foot runway! Send me a PM if you are interested.

Scott

Bump to top

Anyone looking for a hangar mate at KRNM (Ramona, CA) or KSDM (Brown Field) I think i've done the last practical thing to do in my garage and need to get on with final assembly!.

A buddy of mine is real close to moving his 7 to Rmn and will need a hanger....I'm on several lists to eventually get a hanger at MYF. I'll be flying phase 1 off in Missouri. I'll pm you Roee's info, maybe you guys can team up....

Back