What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I don't have a repairman's certificate. So?

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
It occurred to me the other day that I don't have a repairman's certificate for my airplane. I'd just never thought much about it and I'd never seen a 'how to" get one in any of the EAA registration packet stuff.

I guess I have to show up in person at MIDO to get one, but I have no clude what I'm supposed to do other than bring the builder's log.

Here's my question. Presumably, any work I may (or may not) have done on the airplane since it received its airworthiness certificate would be illegal (other than routine maintenance) without the repairman's certificate, right?

Here's the thing: I'm still building and documenting it in the log. The Phase I period had it engine-woe period, and now I'm putting on the wheelpants and fairings and getting them all fitted.

Should I take all of that stuff out of the logbook ?

Bob,

The only thing you need the Repairman's Certificate for is to sign off the Annual Condition Inspection.

Bring your build log, yourself and some ID. It is possible you will walk out with a temporary certificate.

I got mine from a FSDO guy that comes to our area once in a Blue Moon to inspect the local A&P school.

Best part is that it was FREEEEEEE!

Last edited:
Better yet, just call your local FSDO and ask them what the process is and what you need for documentation. My FSDO was very helpful. Took all of about 20 minutes in their office.

Also, as Brian mentioned, the only thing the repairman's certificate is for is the annual condition inspection. For good or bad, ANYONE can legally work on experimental category aircraft. So all the work you've already done that you that you didn't really do was legal anyway.:D

Repairman certificate is a FSDO function and not a MIDO function. The MIDO will not be able to help you.

ANYONE can do work on an EXPERIMENTAL aircraft. Only an A&P or Repairman's certificate is needed for the once a year "Condition Inspection."

PHONE the FSDO first and ask them what they need. Since 9/11, they do not accept walk-ins and an appointment is required.

Expect the airman application form. (Your pilot's license number is an airman certificate number so when the form ask if you have one, list your airman number.)
Airworthiness Certificate
Operating Limitations
Builders records with photos
Be prepared to answer any question that the FSDO ASI will ask.

AC 65-23A

Bob, you may find the above-referenced advisory circular helpful. Among other things, it contains a sample form 8610-2, filled out the way the FAA wants it for a repairman's certificate.

Here's a link to the FAA page where you can download it.

Make sure you click on the bottom one, AC 65-23A CHG 1, as it's the most current.

And no, I haven't gone through the process yet either, though that task is working its way up my list.

The guy that done my aircraft certification gave me a signed note that I took in to get my repairman certification stating that I was qualified to get it, so you might ask the guy that done yours. They just accepted that and didn't even look at my build log.

Bob ...

See http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=908658F5BC14036386257689004B8F08 that describes what the FSDO is supposed to do to process your request. FAR 65.104 describes the requirements.

You generally do not need to have any certificate to work on the airplane and make repairs. You should log the work performed.

The Repairman Certificate is actually a "Repairman certificate--experimental aircraft builder" (FAR 65.104) and is distinct from a "Repairman certificate" (see FAR 65.103).

Dan

Repair Certificate

Brenda has an appointment tomorrow at the Kansas City FISDO to receive her repairmen's certificate for her RV-12.
The process was fairly painless but documentation is essential.
Just a 325 mile round trip, she is sure excited.

The guy that done my aircraft certification gave me a signed note that I took in to get my repairman certification stating that I was qualified to get it, so you might ask the guy that done yours. They just accepted that and didn't even look at my build log.

BOB's

I also had letter and went to FSDO office.
No pain and kinda amusing looking for forms, main FSDO guy
on vacation that handles experimentals.
He said if MD-80 I would have been gone 30 minutes ago.:eek:

For those who may not know...

Brenda has an appointment tomorrow at the Kansas City FSDO to receive her repairman's certificate for her RV-12.
The process was fairly painless but documentation is essential.
Just a 325 mile round trip, she is sure excited.

The Repairman Certificate for an E-LSA is different from that for an E-AB.
The Certificate for E-LSA requires a 16 hour course completion.

ANYONE can do work on an EXPERIMENTAL aircraft. Only an A&P or Repairman's certificate is needed for the once a year "Condition Inspection."

Is this correct? So for the electronic ignition I'm installing in the rv I did not build, I don't need any sort of sign off?

Is this correct? So for the electronic ignition I'm installing in the rv I did not build, I don't need any sort of sign off?

The semantics are important.

Any one can repair anything.

Only an A&P or a person with the repairman's cert can sign the conditional inspection. (i.e. annual)

The semantics are important.

Any one can repair anything.

Only an A&P or a person with the repairman's cert can sign the conditional inspection. (i.e. annual)

I agree with you the semantics ARE important - it is an annual "Condition Inspection" - nothing "conditional" about it....;)

And not only can anyone repair anything, anyone can MODIFY anything.

Paul

Short answer - you can do the work.

Longer answer - you do the signoff in the logbook. You should also dig out the Operating Limitations letter - it may have language like "...After incorporating a major change as described in FAR 21.93, the aircraft owner is required to reestablish compliance with FAR 91.319(b) and notify the geographically responsible FSDO of the location of the proposed test area. The aircraft owner must obtain concurrence from the FSDO as to the suitability of the proposed test area..." (or something equivalent). If so, you would have to do some sleuthing to see if this limitation applied and whether or not you had to comply - although, you don't need to be the original builder nor a certificated mechanic to do so.

Dan

Repairman certificate is a FSDO function and not a MIDO function. The MIDO will not be able to help you.

PHONE the FSDO first and ask them what they need. Since 9/11, they do not accept walk-ins and an appointment is required.

Expect the airman application form. (Your pilot's license number is an airman certificate number so when the form ask if you have one, list your airman number.)
Airworthiness Certificate
Operating Limitations
Builders records with photos
Be prepared to answer any question that the FSDO ASI will ask.

So if you buy a used RV, you can do all the work on it but have to have someone do your annual?

That is correct. The annual is called a "condition inspection", and can be done by the original builder if he has a repairman - experimental airplane certificate, or by any A&P (no -IA needed, just like a 100 hour inspection).

Back