What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is your commute time to your RV?

30-35min. each way, 2-3 times per week. Opposite direction from work-home-airport.

Commute time measured in moment.

5 miles, 2 stop signs, rolling country farm hills. Who cares how long it takes!

70 feet to my barn where I am building the RV. Really going to miss having it so close but the time to move it to the airport is near.

Vlad, we can shave 15 min off your travel time if you base at N40! We can use a 9 that flys a lot, love to have ya.....see ya soon.

35 feet

Hangar is in back yard 35 feet from house and runway is another 75 feet. So on an average walking speed maybe 20 seconds to the aircraft.

Life is good in an airpark.

My previous trip when in Atlanta was a minimum of 1 hour with no traffic to go 50 miles on a good weekend day, don't even try it during the week in under 2 hours.

10 seconds to the shop, building.

Any airport is about 45 minutes from here...living near downtown Houston. Not sure where I'll be based, yet.

How long, how often...

30 secs or less... When flying it requires throwing bags in the van, driving down the driveway, then packing the '10. When tinkering, it's just a short walk. Usually make the trip at least once a day. Ironically, since my mate now uses the shop as an art studio, she's there most days and encourages me to join her. We just finished an all- nighter with her grouting and me building a center console. The things we have to do to maintain marital peace.

Bill Watson

Live in my Hanger.
It is 14 steps down to the hanger floor and the 'Borrowed Horse' RV8
I have averaged 157 hours year since I got my PPL in 1984.
TT now 4400,,, about 2300 of those hours are in RV airplanes.
Fun times.

10 SEC.

It only takes 10 seconds if I take the ELEVATOR. Add 5 seconds if I take the stairs. I can always look out the window into the hanger.
Yes it is grate. :D

Lucky Guy

22 miles, about 35 minutes. Number of trips varies a lot. I have DSL set up in the hangar, so I can do my day job from there, too (vs 1 mile drive if I'm working locally). It depends on the weather and if I'm doing any maintenance or improvements to either plane. Been here every day the last couple weeks, adding better heat and ventilation to the RV. Without plane work, I try to come over & fly every flyable day. Sometimes bad weather can mean a couple weeks without coming over. Averages maybe 2-3 times a week over the year. In the winter, I also have to come over & do snow removal after each significant snowfall.

Hoping to retire to a nice airpark eventually, if I can find one that's a good fit and where it's not too hot in the summer. Either that or change over to a trailerable plane, like the Aerotrek, and spend summers in NH & winters in FL or CA.

35 minutes to drive to the airfield.

15 minutes to get airborne.

10 minutes to make lots of noise over our house :D

'bout 50 feet...

but i am one of the lucky ones. or should i say one of the ones who has worked a lifetime to feed his addiction!

Back