What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Facet Fuel Pump Mounting Dimensions

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
Would anyone be able to measure the mounting distance between the center of the mounting holes on the Facet (carb) fuel pump? It appears my pump flanges are about 2 9/16" center to center. Given Vans built my QB fuse with a 2 3/8" center to center dimension on the doubler plate, it seems I have a problem. It looks like a screw-up on the QB mounting, but I want to make sure I don't have a bad fuel pump.

Has anyone else had this problem with the fuel pump mounting? The misalignment appears great enough that I can't just enlarge the mounting holes on the fuel pump. Given the doubler and nutplates are already drilled and riveted to the firewall, there doesn't immediately seem like a clean solution.

Scott
7A Finishing

Yes, I mounted mine recently in my 7 and had the same problem. I filed the holes in the pump to make it fit, but doing that I wasn't able to put a socket on one side to tighten, so I moved it up to use the socket on the bottom and an open end wrench on the top. It should work that way

Swap Nutplate

I'm not sure if Bob and I are the only ones that have had this problem with the QB, but I wanted to post my solution. I filed the inner edge of the pump mounting hole flange equally on both sides until the screws would line up with the existing holes on the firewall. In doing that, I was not able to get the pump in a position where I could get a wrench or socket on the bottom bolt. I ended up drilling the bottom nutplate out of the firewall, and I attached it to the fuel pump itself (I filled the nutplate attach holes with 426 rivets). That way the bottom bolt had easy wrench access on the firewall, and the top bolt could be reached from inside with an open wrench.

Simple solution that didn't hit me at first, but others might benefit from.

Scott

fuel pump

Mine was wrong also. I filed the holes in the fuel pump to match the ones in the QB fire wall. Then the bolts were to close to the fuel pump to get a socket on so I used longer bolts and added pipe spacers on the bolts to get them up above the pump where I could get a socket on.
N51HS

I assume you guys are talking about the F-601Z doubler plate that goes at the bottom of the firewall.
Interestingly enough, that part wasn't installed on my QB at all which was fine with me because I'm going with FI and therefore won't be mounting a fuel pump at that location. At the same time, I've installed it sans holes and nutplates for a pump because I'll go through the firewall at that point and use it as a fuel line pass-through doubler.
Since that is a bulder fabricated part and not relevant to many engine installations, I'm surprised that the QB factory put it in on any of the QB kits.

It's interesting that the QB factory sometimes does... and sometimes doesn't, which is another reason we QB builders need to go over EVERY little detail from first to last even if we "think" the QB company put it in.

Last edited:
Back