What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Leak Source?

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: Oil Leak

I have an IOX 360 ECi Titan Engine, CS prop. I have noted that in the last few hours a small oil leak has develped that I just can't seem to find its origin.

Basically there is a very small trail of oil on the top and right edge of the front of the SkyTec starter. After todays flight I noted that there was also a small amount of oil that trailed down the alternator boss arm.

Any ideas that don't include the dreaded front seal leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying

Hey Frank, I wish I had that problem! My new ECI 0-360 has little oil leaks all over! Actually, they're more like weeps. I hardly see any oil consumption between oil changes, so it must not be that bad!

Either way, the A&P I/A that built my engine with me said that the silk thread isn't necessary, but dang do I wish we would have used it! :rolleyes:

Front seal is not hard to change

Any ideas that don't include the dreaded front seal leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying

The front seal is pretty easy to change thanks to the procedure an AP friend showed me. I've done two of them using the plastic bag technique. You'll find lots of posts on this subject.

Check your CS prop oil line

Check the B nut and hose fitting. A small leak here will show up below as you are describing. Wipe your finger around the B nut and see if there is any weeping.

Finding oil leaks in aero engines can be really difficult because of the amount of air that circulates around the engine and blows the leaking oil to places far from the source of the leak. You could try this:

FAO-109

Makes sure the engine is fairly clean. Add the additive in the ratio of 1:50. Go and fly for a short while to make sure that the oil and the additive has leaked out. Look for the source of the leak with a Black Light the trails of oil will show up yellow and can be traced back to the source.

Last edited:
RV6 Slow-build

Re. JonJay's advice to check the stainless prop gov. line - I 2nd his advice - do check it. I'm now hanging my ECI TMX on my RV6 and to do so, first disconnected the b-nut at the gov. pad and found the line spring loaded to the 'screw-up your very first flight' position. Noting that this has been the cause of one too many forced landings, I checked the other end & found even more pre-load. Inspect for cracks - especially near the flare & ferrule and if serviceable, install with zero preload at either end. Cheers!

Hi guys,

I just removed both cowls from my 9A (O-360 Superior) and for the first time found some evidence of an oil leak. I have not started to investigate for the origin but suspect it is the front crankcase seal. I have an oil stripe across the top of the starter.

Does my assumption sound reasonable?

Could be. There are also thru bolts above the starter that can leak as well as the parting surfaces of the crank case on the bottom. Nose seal is likely the culprit and if it is that, there should be ample evidence inside the back of the starter gear support.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Ken, that's probably what it is. I have the Superior XP 0360 and after 70 Hrs it was leaking and spreading oil all over in the back of the engine and didn't seem to be the front seal, but it was. Superior has the front seal with silicon as the lube for the seal and the mechanic replaced the seal and coated it with a type of glue instead of the silicon. He also said to make sure on the next oil change to pull both oil screen's to see if they had silicon in them as they can plug things up. I did find a string of the silicon in the oil inlet screen in the one near the oil drain, so make sure you do that, also another guy up here at FNL had to replace his also( same engine as mine)- Bob

From Lycoming Forum

Would be interesting to know which is correct. I plan on a Superior engine too. Will ask myself when closer to ordering, since they are back in business it appears.

"A quick note: I checked with Superior yesterday and they confirm that they have never used RTV in any of their Certified or experimental engines."

Didn't (doesn't) Superior just sell engine kits? Would that not make the RTV/Pliobond issue attributable to the engine builder?

Last edited:
Didn't (doesn't) Superior just sell engine kits? Would that not make the RTV/Pliobond issue attributable to the engine builder?

Superior did in fact build their own engines as well as sell kits. In fact, before they went bust they were selling certified engines (Vantage series).

Back