What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-8

GRUMPY

Made my first flight yesterday at DCU in North Alabama. Flew .7 with a heavy right wing as my only squawk. Here are a few pics and a video my son made.
Mark
21addmw.jpg
[/IMG]
2zygara.jpg
21addmw.jpg
vhrg9s.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHEUe9z-ed4

Congratulations Mark!

Where did you get your canopy and what tint is it? Also, what does it say on the bottom of your right flap? I can read the left one but not the right. Thanks.

The tinted canopy looks great on all the Eights I have seen with them. At the risk of stepping on some toes however I think that if you choose to go with that type of tint you are planning on a day use only aircraft. Those who have flown with helmets have experienced forgetting to raise a tinted visor as the sun was setting and wondering why your vision is so bad. A tinted canopy is great if you only plan to fly during the day. If you do plan to fly at night I would not consider it.

George

Long time no see!

Hi Mark,

I noticed you continued the tradition of "flap advertising" on your eight. I remember your RV4 taxiing up our Prattville RV fly-in way back when with "Mark's Mistress" across the lowered flaps. I thought that was cool...

Looks like the eight has raised the ante to "Mark's Obsession"

Nicely done!
Smokey

PS: Still have your little farm airstrip west of the Saturn V?

Last edited:
Beautiful aircraft!!!
I like the tinted canopy. I suspect it is not as dark as it looks from the out side pictures. In the picture of the panel, the tint is not that noticeable looking out.

Marks Obsession - continued

Mark,

congrats from the other side of the pond (Germany/Europe). Remember me? I have bought your RV-4 and I thought I just post one of the pics you sent me which show the ´flapvertising´ Smokey mentioned (however I have taken the freedom to take the stickers off now ...)

302b6o7.jpg

Take care, Heinz
P.S. Cool that you carried forward the paint scheme - a nice 180° on switching yellow for blue and vice versa.

Last edited:
Where did you get your canopy and what tint is it? Also, what does it say on the bottom of your right flap? I can read the left one but not the right. Thanks.

The canopy is from Todd's, I don't remember the tint number, I just told Todd I wanted a dark tint. The flaps say second obsession.
2lcqv7n.jpg

Hi Mark,

I noticed you continued the tradition of "flap advertising" on your eight. I remember your RV4 taxiing up our Prattville RV fly-in way back when with "Mark's Mistress" across the lowered flaps. I thought that was cool...

Looks like the eight has raised the ante to "Mark's Obsession"

Nicely done!
Smokey

PS: Still have your little farm airstrip west of the Saturn V?

Yes I still have the strip at home. I will move the 8 there after I get a few hours on it.

Mark,

congrats from the other side of the pond (Germany/Europe). Remember me? I have bought your RV-4 and I thought I just post one of the pics you sent me which show the ?flapvertising? Smokey mentioned (however I have taken the freedom to take the stickers off now ...)

302b6o7.jpg

Take care, Heinz
P.S. Cool that you carried forward the paint scheme - a nice 180? on switching yellow for blue and vice versa.

Have you flown the 4 yet?

Congratulations!

Wow, top billing on the home page. That's where you belong for sure.
I look forward to seeing you on the Saturday breakfast circuit.
Again, congratulations.

I should have known you would ask that ...

Have you flown the 4 yet?

Well, I knew you would ask that when I posted. The answer is an embarrassing NO, not yet.

To cut a long story short: the plane sits ready to fly and fully insured on the ground since March 2010 (yes, nearly one year ago). The reason is that we could not make any progress of registering the aircraft with the Dutch FAA really since than. They went though a re-organsisation (and chopped off half of the jobs) and the guy working on it was ill for at least 3-5 months - and I pay an extra hangar at USD 300 per month plus the insurance at USD 200 per month - you just got to embrace the European Aviation Administration :D. However I don´t blame anyone personal at the Dutch FAA as the people are maybe just f..ed by the reorgansiation and it might be difficult enough for them just to cope with that alone.

Anyway since last week someone else is working on it - he apologized and I hope we´ll get the paperwork in the next 2 weeks or so. On the good side I am in the air with PH-ERD (4-place all wood Robin DR380 with the Subaru/Eggenfellner H-6, ca. 285 troublefree - knock on wood - hours since SEP 2008):

2lapkt0.jpg

... and I fly a solid 100 hrs per year with it. However we really need to get PH-EIL (your former RV-4) in the air now!!

Heinz

Last edited:
I know: it is NOT a Vans ...

... however the paint scheme is carried forward on the firewall:

205vt0.jpg

OK - erased some pics again as I don´t want to highjack that post. I just hope someone gets a little inspiration from the firewall paint AND for sure really - apologies to Mark and Doug actually.

Heinz (and yes, I do have a RV too)

Last edited:
Back