What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jet-Glo Paint-- Great Product!

Planning to use Sherwin Williams but I'd like a copy

Please send me a copy.

barry55 (at) earthlink.net

Expensive but worth it

Painted my RV4 with Jet-Glo, the price was expensive but the price has gone up since. I know it's probably an eye watering price now, but its real honest to goodness "aerospace" paint, a two-component polyester, solid-color urethane. It is not a base/clear coat car paint. It does not require sanding or buffing. It goes on and looks good. However again the price is crazy high (may be no different than others, been a while since I painted a plane), but the results where great for me.

If you get into lots of painted strips, they tend to just go on top of the base color. It will leave a ridge, so be aware of that. Clear coat does have an advantage in that you can buff out of color sand and than clear over all the base and trim making it smooth to the touch. Jet-Glo was designed for med large aircraft.

Global Aerospace Coatings . . . .

. . . . . carries the whole line of SW aircraft paint and will sell to mere mortals. Talk to Conor McGee. I bought the regular (not water-borne) JetFlex interior paint from him and got a complete price list for all the JetGlo/AcryGlo stuff. No problems. Be advised, however that shipping this kind of stuff carries some fairly hefty shipping charges. They are located in Oklahoma.

Conor McGee
Global Aerospace Coatings
www.GAcoatings.com
[email protected]

The presentation is available here ...

I'm looking for a distributor that will sell to the end user.

PowerPoint presentation on this paint process

I would appreciate a copy.
Bought a flying 6a needs paint.
Thanks firemanken

See Post 92 or 109. Link to presentation there.

Dave

Mod: Can you update the first post to reference the 2 posts above?

Jet Glo color chart?/

Does anyone have a Jet Glo Color Chart. Looking for a dark red, maroon and grays. need a paint code number.

There is a local Sherwin williams but the were not very much help

[email protected]

Not to rain on the parades, but my experience with Jet Glo, professionally applied was not good.

My fuse had to be repainted twice due to paint bubbling. Subsequent research (discussions with other paint shops) indicated that it is very sensitive to humidity during application. It's hydroscopic, absorbing moisture from the air during application. When it cures, this moisture may form bubbles in the paint.

Other folks good experiences may line up with continental climates. On the coast, however, the trouble I had was frustrating.

It's always good to talk to pro paint shops about their experiences.

V

I love Jet Glo.. Be warned some colors dont cover very well.. White, Blue, Black Grey etc cover very well.. Red Yellow Green not very well at all.

They make 2 versions i high solids and a conventional type of paint.. Metallic colors are Acryglo that look thier best with an optional clear coat.

The nature of Jetglo is to stay "wet" for a longer period of time than automotive coatings.. basically so you have time to paint the whole airplane with out having dry spots and overspray issues.

Bubbles in the paint usually comes from water in the airlines.. all paint will do this.. get a good water trap system.. The cheesy little orange inline things cant keep up with 60 gallons of air rushing through it every 20 minutes.

Jetglo by far is a better product than Imron.. but thats personal opion.
but both will leave very thick "tape" lines between colors and stripes.
Ill scan my Jetglo color selector. and try to post it.. cant guarantee the colors will look right with a scanned version of shiney paint chips tho..

Painted my RV-6 with Jet-Glo in 1993. Still looks great today.
My maroon is Jet-Glo "Deep Red #576-541". I wanted it darker yet so I painted black first, then the dark red over the black.

Back