What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual trim knob location?

wilddog

Well Known Member
On a RV-8, where is the best place to locate the manual pitch trim knob? I have seen them on the panel, under the panel, on the back of the gear tower and a few other places. What is most convienent without interfering with something else?

What Andy said.

I have mine in the same location. Hand is on the throttle and with minimal motion you can adjust the trim. Any other location would be disruptive.

I have a wheel just aft of the gear tower. I find it to be too low and too far forward. I don't like taking my hand off of the throttle, then leaning forward to roll trim forward or aft. I'm considering a retrofit to electric.

I like the wheel idea...

Call me old school, but I have it in my head that a want a trim wheel as well... I don't know how practical that is though. Trying to find the right location would seem tough...

I'm with Andy, but I would like to add that you want to make sure there is enough clearance on the left side of the knob that your hand does not get squeezed against the structure.
I could have mounted mine about 1/4" farther to the right and liked it better.
I also put my flap control switch to the left of the trim knob. This is perfect, as you hold the trim knob and operate the flap switch with one finger, then adjust the trim as required. the trim knob easily reached when you lift your hand from the throttle, the flaps switch is easily reached from the trim knob.
I also mounted my Mic 'push to talk' switch below and behind the throttle, so I lower my left hand 'a smidge' to broadcast, then back to the throttle.
It's the alternative to switches on the stick. Very easy to build, and automatic to use in flight. You never have to look to find them.

Last edited:
Trim knob

I can't attest to usefulness in flight but I find it a very natural position. The Vans location seems to be a knuckle scraper.

Back