What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to fix (restore) a rivet gun

bruceh

Well Known Member
I ran across this interesting video showing a restoration of a vintage aircraft riveting hammer. The guy here just takes it to a better than new level of completion. I feel the need now to get out the polishing compound and give my rivet gun some love. :)

Wish I could find out how to refurbish my rivet squeezer. Its leaking air out the bottom so won't work anymore. Luckily I'm almost done with riveting, but I'm sure there's a few spots coming up I could use it.

Wish I could find out how to refurbish my rivet squeezer. Its leaking air out the bottom so won't work anymore. Luckily I'm almost done with riveting, but I'm sure there's a few spots coming up I could use it.

They're dirt simple. There is an air valve on the end that lets air into the cylinder to push a piston. The air valve comes out with the nut on the end of the tool. The piston can be accessed by taking the end cap (cylinder head) off. Parts diagrams are easy to find; here is one: https://airtoolpro.com/content/PDF/Desoutter-CP0214-Service-Sheet_AirToolPro-ZAMPINI.pdf

If it's leaking air when you try to squeeze it sounds like the o-ring on the piston failed.

Back