What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine vibrations after new mounts....help?

Taildragger19

I'm New Here
Just installed Barry aerobatic mounts, with gel insert. 15-20%more vibration on airframe and cockpit now. Is this normal, does a bit of ware lessen this? Any issues to worry about with this vibration increase? I installed new mount looking to get a bit of sag fixed. It didn?t really do what I was hoping for. I did not add any shims, nothing is touching airframe. Rv4, io360, constant speed prop.
Daniel

About what I recall

I put a set of these in a Cap 10/ Cp -328 ( O-320) 20 years ago and although I did not measure the vibration with a balancer, that sounds close to the same amount of vibration increase.

It did stiffen the engine mounting and prevented the spinner floating around during inverted and gyro force inducing moves.

But for normal and XC flight the softer mounts would offer less vibration.

In an F1 rocket that had saggy mounts I machined shims to put the spinner back to lined up with the cowl nose, as new mounts did nothing by themselves.

Ok, so nothing major to be worried about? I do mostly formation routines and acro with the airplane so I thought it would be a good idea. I only got about half the lift I was hoping for. Is there a limit to spacers I could use to lineup the spinner with cowl again?
Thanks for info

Back