What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extremely low oil consumption on new engine

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
So I now have 5 hours on my rebuilt IO-540. This follows an hour on Barretts test cell going through various power settings. So guess that means there's 6 hours on the engine.

For break-in I have been following the Lycoming's Service Instruction. 95% of the 5 hours was spent at 3,500 - 4,500ft with power settings between 65% and 75%.

After initial service I had about 9.5 quarts in it. After an hour of operations I had about 9.25 quarts in it so I put another quart in. After another 2 hours it was about 9.25 again. Seeing that the oil I put in was now relocated on the belly of the aircraft I left it at 9.25. After another few hours it's still at 9.25. So either it's not burning any oil or the amount is so minuscule that I can't notice it on the dip stick.

Per the Service Instruction "For correct piston ring seating, in a top overhauled engine or a newly overhauled engine, operate the aircraft at 65% to 75% cruise power until oil consumption is stable." Can an engine break-in as little as 5 hours or is it typical not to consume oil during the break-in process?

I am no expert, but many believe rings can seat in a very short time. That doesn?t mean it is fully broken in. Your report isn?t that unusual.
Have you seen your CH temps make a drop?

Justin,
Regarding oil level, every engine seems to have it's own "happy" oil level. Almost always less than it's maximum capacity. Any amount over this level will blow out the breather in short order. As you gain experience with your engine you will know exactly how much oil to add after an oil change and when it's time to add a quart.
Good Luck with the break- in.

My O-290-D2 with the Cermichrome cylinders used almost no oil during the first 200 hours. I would go for 25 hours without adding any. Now, at 300 hrs. it's using about a quart and a half between 25 hour oil changes. I don't understand it, but I like it.

My O320 was the same with new cylinders. 300ish hours later I still rarely add more then 1/2 qt every 25 hours.

Chris

IO 540 oil consumption

I've got almost 300 hrs on my factory Reman 540. It has loved 9qts since day one including breakin. I burn maybe 1 qt every 30 hrs. Love it!!!

Thanks for the responses, I guess everything is working as it should. I?m familiar with each engine having it?s own level. I let a friend fly my stol 172 one weekend. He called me panicking to let me know something was wrong because he lost 2 quarts in 2 hours. I told him it?s on the belly.

On the 10 I?ll keep it at 9.25 and see how long it takes to get below that.

Justin,
I usually see at my IO-540 everything more than 8 quarts ending up going through the breather tube. I am not aware of any RV-10/IO-540 installation that will keep 9 qts + .

Regards
Michael

Back