What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron ding

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
It's a pretty small ding. Top middle part of the aileron, on the rivet line. I'm thinking West system epoxy should fix it. But it is a control surface...Any thoughts appreciated....

atqlis.jpg

wgolq8.jpg

Poly Fiber Super Fill is your friend. Very light weight semi-flexible and sands easy.

There is always a little failure on the way to success Mark. The painter will take care of it keep building :)

I have a matching pair of those on the top of my right aileron, and a divot where I dropped a wrench on the elevator, and an extra dimple punch on the lower right fuse, and......

Super fill prep ?

What assures good adhesion ? West 105 with micro does not adhere well to aluminum. Should the aluminum be prepped before applying superfill or west/micro?

Here is what I've done with good success: Thoroughly rough surface with 80 grit minimum, 50 or 60 even better. Clean with acetone, fill. Sand after cure, leave the rest for painter or use your favorite pin hole fill process.

Chill, fill and press on. Thanks for the expert advice! PS..Checks in the mail Doug. Thanks for a great forum :D

Sorry everyone but it's so nice to see those dings!! LOL

It's nice because I thought I was the only one!:D:D

You mean I am not alone?

Did something similar walking by QB fuse on floor. Had stored tank cradle against wall, as I wked by I snagged it and it keeled over against fuse making quarter sized ding in 12 ooh dollar QB fuse. Really was not a great day. Thanks for the Poly help though will try that.

Sorry everyone but it's so nice to see those dings!! LOL

It's nice because I thought I was the only one!:D:D

It's the unique fingerprint for each bird ... I know where ALL of mine are. Funny, though, how no one else ever noticed them! (blind buggers!)

Back