What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Threaded Rod End (AN490HT11P)

RobinHou

Well Known Member
I am putting together my F-789 pushrod, but run into couple issues:

1. The Threaded Rod End (AN490HT11P) does not fit the pushrod. I assume I can sand down the threaded rod end until it fits into the pushrod, correct?

2. When I tried to thread the threaded rod end into the Rod End Bearing F3514M, it only went in about 1/4". I then tried an AN316-5 Nut and it only went on the rod end about 1/8". It appears the threaded portion of the rod end is too big. I have no idea how to resolve this issue. Suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Robin

For issue #1, make sure you don't have a burr on the inside of the tube where it was cut that is keeping the threaded rod end from sliding in.

For issue #2, something is wrong. Rod end could be defective or the threads are damaged from handling somehow. Hard to tell without seeing it.

Threaded rod end

I just did this yesterday. I have a lathe in my basement. So I chucked the threaded rod end to the lathe, lightly. I took a fine file to the OD. I then polished it with 40 micron mylar backed "sandpaper". I did this twice and got a snug fit. Also, make sure you deburr the end of the tube and swab it out with a small piece of rag and a length of dowel rod.

I had a problem with the nuts as well. There is a small indent on the nut. I assume it is to cause an interference fit. I simply started the nut by turning it over and threading it on from the other end.

Before riveting, I applied a thin coat of an anti-oxidizing compound to the tube and the rod end to replace the cadmium coating of the rod end.

Dave

Threaded rod end

I had to turn mine down also. I didn't have the correct equipment so I had to chuck them up in the drill. Kind of a mickey mouse operation but it worked.

Dave,

Can you tell me what compound you used for the threads? I had some rod ends welded for the aileron push rods, and the cadmium burned off.

Thanks,

I used some No-Alox. It is an anti-oxidizing compound used in the electrical industry. Use sparingly but coat everything. Wipe off excess.

Dave

Back