What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun N Fun Show line

I think you are reading this correctly. I believe this is the same deal that they had in effect the years the Thunderbirds were doing their shows at SnF. My impression was that the deeper flight line is mandated by military regulation and is not really under the control of the SnF organizers. (Rumor only, so I could be wrong on that detail.)

Another depiction of the flight line can be seen at :

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/SchedulesMaps/campgroundMap.aspx

Since we actually prefer the overflow campground area (read: cow pasture) down on the west end of the field the flight line jogs a bit and we don't have to move. If you look at the campground map, you can see the jog in the flight line around the cow pastures.

So does that line extend all the way down to airshow center and east, or is it only the campground?

If it includes the "show line" then it looks like vendors and aircraft parking areas will be affected.

Maybe this is some sort of turn-around area?

While we are on the subject:

The new camping rules seem to say that motorized scooters are prohibited anywhere on the convention site.

For you that camped there last year. Were there scooters? Is that enforced?

Seems like they are trying to suck all the fun out of the flyin.

While I'm on a roll.....

What has the Blue Angles got to do with general aviation anyway. I mean they put on a good show, but. Half the show is off limits while they are anywhere near the field.

I can answer that. Money and gate ticket sales to non pilots and families

Half of Tampa will be there Sunday afternoon.

It looks the same as the T-birds set up. The folks who are inconvenienced are the ones in GA camping and those who get the prime real estate alongside the taxiway in their motorhomes. The campground from taxiway papa back to yellow line is closed during T-birds practice and show. Everything else is as normal regarding show viewing.
I'm not quite sure how they clear the campgrounds besides blocking entrances prior to the show. Seems to me one could hide out in their tent or camper and go unnoticed. The people who get the nice spots by the taxi way show up at SNF at least a week early and it must be quite unsettling to be denied access to your spot that you worked so hard to get.
And the birds show/practice seems to last a very long time. they are very cool to watch but I would be right pissed if I couldn't watch from the comfort of my camping spot.
That's why I will always go to homebuilt camping. Easy access to everything and good views of the day/night shows.

Blue Angels are gonna be at SNF this year as part of the centennial of Navy aviation.

Last edited:
Camping

Is there a homebuilt camping area? I see the notam has an overnight camping and GA camping distinction. IF so, How do you tell parking you want to go there.

It looks the same as the T-birds set up. The folks who are inconvenienced are the ones in GA camping and those who get the prime real estate alongside the taxiway in their motorhomes. The campground from taxiway papa back to yellow line is closed during T-birds practice and show. Everything else is as normal regarding show viewing.
I'm not quite sure how they clear the campgrounds besides blocking entrances prior to the show.

We have a spot in the campgrounds we've used for a decade or more. They post signs everwhere that state "This area (between the yellow line on whatever street and the fence) must be evacuated between these hours on these days".

Then they start driving through on golf carts and other vehicles a few minutes before the show to shoo everyone off. Once the area is evacuated, they monitor the crowd line and stop anyone who attempts to cross.

It is a real PITA to not be able to reach your campsite for hours on end. The first time the T-birds were there, they had some issue which delayed their show by a couple of hours. But they closed the campground at the beginning of the announced window anyway and kept it closed until the T-birds were finished with their practice. So we couldn't get to our campsite for something like 4 hours, meaning we couldn't get to our food, vehicle, yada, yada, yada.

Every year since then, I send a futile e-mail to the management of SnF complaining that the show is not a good venue for the military jet teams, since they do multiple shows across the country a year and aren't a good fit for a fly-in. Apparently (and I don't blame 'em) management places more importance on the bump in attendance (and revenue) the military teams bring to the show than to the convenience of campers.

We do camping every year and the T-Birds evac of the campground was such a major PITA that several of the folks in our group stopped going. (We would park our RVs up there two weeks before on the front row which we no longer do). We researched this and it is BA and T-Bird mandatory clear area that is the issue. At MOST airshows they can move the performance area a couple of hundred feet away from the show line/runway and not mandate a frontal clear area. This is not possible at Sun-N-Fun without closing Drane Field road. Most of the folks at our airpark really look forward to getting together at Sun-N-Fun each year and this has dampened it some. We're much more concerned about the long term viability of the show given the constant raising of fees, vendors not returning, overall care of the grounds, etc.

Back