What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want fix ideas for slipping shoulder harness

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
Want (Now Found) fix ideas for slipping shoulder harness

The pilot shoulder harnesses do not stay in place on the seat back bar. I find myself sliding them back up a few times each flight unless I have them quite tight. (A problem not unlike a black strap dress Katie wears now and then. :D )

Has any one else been bothered and found a good solution?

Last edited:
Tie wrap

I used a long tie wrap to tie them together. The seat back Velcro attachment pretty much hides it.

Don

What kind of buckle do you have? If you have the the cam lock kind you can cross the shoulder harnesses over in front of you. Connect the left harness into the right slot etc. We had one airplane at work that had the same issue and it drove me nutty. Simply crossing the harness cured it. I admit it isn't ideal.

I took some self sticking rubber tape I got from Lowes and wrapped a few rounds around the rollbar. I put it at the outer edges to give the seat back something to rest against and not rub metal to metal. with a couple of wraps it makes a bit of a barrier that keeps the belts inside of the rubber. since it's 1" wide that tends to keep them lined up where they should be. Don't have any pictures handy, but could take some next time I'm out at the airport.

I have the same problem and have been planning on a piece of 1" nylon webbing and a couple of snap fasteners to harness the two belts together........when I get around to it.

Shoulder Harness

I used a length of clear vinyl tubing with the approx I/D of the seat back brace. Put in over the brace with cutouts where I want the Shoulder Harness straps to stay and tywraped it in place. It works fine, my shoulder straps never fall out of place regardless of how loose I have them. Sorry no pictures.... I'm away from my plane for a few days.

Do you have a crotch strap?

I found that without one, no matter how hard I tightened the shoulder straps they always loosened and slid off my shoulders. This was because the seat belt would merely rise up as I tightened the shoulder straps. Thta loosened the shoulder straps.

I added a crotch strap and problem solved.

I have Van's stock 5 point harness.

Versions of each of the ideas above have been my thoughts.

Or what do you think about putting a pull rivet with washer backup thru the back underside of the seat bar and webs?

I sure wouldn't put a hole in the webbing.......ex-race driver speaking.

My thought and hesitation for snaps too. Unless the snaps were placed at the loose, non-load bearing ends...

Rubber tape sounds best so far, or zipties and tubing...

Get a seat like this :D

Panel.jpg

I have a gps mounted at the centre of the seat back tubing for the GIB. Harness fell off my shoulders

I now cross my Crow harness behind me.

Yes I know it's not quite as strong, but it's useless if it's not on your shoulders.

Last edited:
Holy cow.... have we progressed so far into the future that no one remembers how to sew anymore?

Take the belts to a trim shop and have them sew a few Velcro squares (use the soft side) wherever needed. Then put the opposing rough Velcro on the seat back, roll bar, wrapped around the propeller, or wherever necessary and rock on.

Or if you're like me, walk into the basement and use your own sewing machine. I have 4.... and I don't even like to sew (unless necessary!)

Thanks Vince

Sounds like a great solution!

Just for the record, I own one sewing machine and my wife has never used it.

I went to the sewing machine, made and installed this webbing. Works good and no holes, stitching, or sticky tape/Velcro to deal with.

2m6na1e.jpg

Installed on harness as it loops around bar, hidden between bar and seat back.

fmrucm.jpg

Great job Bruce. Was the sewing accomplished on a typical lightweight machine or something more robust?

I plan to copy your idea. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Great job Bruce. Was the sewing accomplished on a typical lightweight machine or something more robust?

I plan to copy your idea. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Hi Charlie,

Ya just a cheap $79 sewing machine I have used for RV projects.
The webbing is flexible and lighter so it stitched easy with a normal needle.

Now I need to turn the heat up, drive some rivets, drink beer and watch a ball game to recover from all this sewing talk.

Back