What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Map Light Placement

lr172

Well Known Member
I am near finishing my wiring and had a few LED lights to place. I created a setup to shine a small LED directly on my lap without spilling light upward. However, I just realized that there will be a stick in my lap and may not be able to read maps in my lap. I have never yet flown a plane with a stick and wondering if those with more experience could shed some light (no pun intended) on this for me.

I have a dimmable LED strip that is going under the glareshield for panel lighting. I have considered this as well, but thought turning it up to read a mpa would make the whole cabin too bright.

I appreciate your guidance here.

Larry

What light is right for flight at night

This is a difficult question to address without actual night flying experience in my -8, but I'll give my opinion, having flown plenty other aircraft at night. Please pardon the "cat in the hat" title.

I have dimming led strips under my glare shield (green). I have dimming map lights on the left and right sides (white). My charts are on an ipad.

The map lights are there to illuminate the switch panel on the right and fuel selector on the left, but could easily illuminate a checklist on my leg (they swivel a bit).

All the "instruments" on the panel are self lighted (radios, Dynon D180).

I have no need to illuminate anything on my lap, having charts on an ipad. I think the lights under the glare shield would be annoying if turned up high enough to illuminate a paper chart on my lap.

I have a four channel dimmer (map lights, glare shield, rear light option) which leaves one channel free. If needed, this would work to control a white or green led strip on the bottom of the panel, or another map light that would illuminate your knees, legs, or lap without being a distraction.

No other aircraft I've ever flown at night could be done properly without a small green led flashlight with the exception of those that had a map light on the bottom of the yoke. Nonetheless, a small flashlight or two is always recommended for night flight.

Leave yourself some options and you'll just need to experiment to see what works for you.

You'll note I mention green a great deal. White is too bright, red too blurry (and virtually anyone over 45 would agree), and green just right and soothing for my eyes. Blue is my favorite color but not for night lighting. The choice of color is an individual preference.

Don

If you use a kneeboard, then a light mounted in the cap strips and pointed down will provide direct illumination. Obviously, having the kneeboard on your left leg is preferable, so the stick won't cast a shadow. I've got a couple LED eyeball lights mounted (one in each cap strip) for emergencies...I intend to fly only day VFR, but you never know when you might get caught out. As suggested, it's always good to have a powerful flashlight at the ready, with fresh batteries.

I got the eyeball lights from SteinAir...very slick little units.

Back