What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standard fuel valve repair or replace?

markscogg

Well Known Member
Is this 4 port valve on a 1997 RV-6A the same valve Van's is selling now?
Can it be rebuilt from the top (taking the top nut loose and pulling the spindle out)? If so, what "O" Rings are needed?
Photo is from the bottom.
The 90 degree fittings are from the wing tanks. 45 degree fitting on thr bottom goes to the engine
1572348_m.jpg

1572349_m.jpg

Thanks

It looks slightly different from the one I got with my RV-9A kit.

IMG_5269-M.jpg

Make me an offer and I'll sell you this one. Never used.

Mark, The valve comes apart easily, and is easy to service with "O" rings from ACE hardware or any autoparts.

The top does just lift out..... if your top plate with the markings (left right) can be removed to allow access to the shaft nut that you see on the top of the body. Start by backing off the screw for the handle a couple of turns. Then take a cresent wrench and open the jaws enough to slide over the shaft and tap the handle up to make it a loose fit... leave the handle on for now. Back off the shaft nut a turn or so and then grab the handle (pointer) with two fingers and pull up to unstick the nylon cone valve. Unscrew the shaft nut and remove the valve from the body.

The body never needs to be removed from plumbing to service the valve if it is installed with maintenance in mind. There are two "O" rings for this valve.... one under the shaft nut, the other on the shaft. Take them with you to match with the new ones.

Looking at your picture, it looks like there might be a small gas leak at the valve fitting going to the left gas tank.

Last edited:
What problem are you having with that one exactly?
Im just curious if something is wrong or if you are working on this preventatively

Pipe fittings

Looking at your picture, it looks like there might be a small gas leak at the valve fitting going to the left gas tank.

Where? at NPT or flare fitting? Buy the way, are the fittings AN-6 on one end and 1/4 NPT on the other? (Just in case I need to buy a new fitting.)

We just found a little gas at the handle when changing tanks.

Where? at NPT or flare fitting? Buy the way, are the fittings AN-6 on one end and 1/4 NPT on the other? (Just in case I need to buy a new fitting.)

We just found a little gas at the handle when changing tanks.

The picture is dark around the left (in the picture) flair fitting. Just look for blue dye. Might be nothing.

Back