What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Princeton Capacative Converter Mounting Location?

DwightFrye

Where are folks mounting their Princeton capacitive converters? I was tempted to mount it out of sight behind the covers in front of the spar, but it is getting kind of tight/crowded in that area for me. It would be easy enough to mount them on the sidewall since that area will be covered by the wing root. It has to be somewhere in those areas because the short piece of coax needs to reach the BNC connector on the tank.

So ... what are people doing? If you have a particularly nifty solution a picture would be particularly welcome. Thanks!

That is where i put mine. Temporarily mounted them with double sided foam tape. They are still firmly mounted after three years.

If you ever upgrade to a Garmin G3X they will work great with it too.

I had thought about whether double-side foam tape would do the trick or not. Glad to hear of your experiences. I assume you just stuck it to the sidewall, drilled a hole to route the coax to the BNC on the tank, and called it good. That may well be my plan too. Thanks!

I had thought about whether double-side foam tape would do the trick or not. Glad to hear of your experiences. I assume you just stuck it to the sidewall, drilled a hole to route the coax to the BNC on the tank, and called it good. That may well be my plan too. Thanks!
Actually stuck them to the front face of the spar. All is good so far. Will get some pictures tomorrow and post. Just did the spar bolt AD so the front covers are still off. Didn't need to remove the front covers but thought a look see was in order since I was crawling around down there.

I mounted mine on the sub panel behind the main instrument panel. The coax ran down the sidewalls and to the tank just fine. Did have to replace a defective one but haven't had a problem since the initial install.

I mounted mine on the sub-panel as well. The cable reached the tank connections with no problem.

How much are the Princeton converter boxes these days (The ones with 2 calibration points)?

The Dynon ones don't have enough sensitivity and there is no method to adjust them for the endpoints. This results in very little voltage change over the range of the tanks which results in poor performance and sometimes difficulty doing the EMS calibration since the unit does not see much of a change.

I am thinking of changing mine out when I upgrade the panel next year.

Last edited:
Back