What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog ate the instructions..

byoung

I bought the 1 oz container of tank sealant from Vans for sealing the trailing edge of the rudder. My one year old lab took delivery of the package from the UPS driver while I was at work and decided shred the package. I think it is salvageable but I'm not sure I have everything. All that was left is a small plastic container with some hard putty and the top chewed off and a un-perforated Mylar envelope with a small amount of liquid. I assume that I mix the two of these together and apply, but have no instructions to go by. What would the instructions say? Any advice on my predicament would be appreciated (sealant or dog).

mix them 10:1

So weigh out 30grams of sealant and then add 3grams of activator (black stuff)

make sense?

Just squeeze out the black activator from the silver bag into the creamy ecru stuff in the little jar and mix very well to a consistent medium gray color. Works great - I just used two of these 1 oz. kits on my RV-12 for touch-up. -- David

You ought to be able to teach a UPS driver not to deliver to a Lab, though. But first you have to get the driver to stay put for a few minutes.

Dave

Letter box

My Spaniels attack anything that comes thorough the letter box......... not a bad thing in the Uk as we have a lot of car key burglaries. Thieves who put a stick with a hook on it to hook your car keys and steal your car.

The good news is when you wake up there is DNA (blood and hopefully a finger on the floor).

Sounds like a good dog to me but perhaps you could put him in a cage when your expecting a delivery.

Thanks

OK, I'll mix away this weekend and stick the the trailing edge together.
Thanks for getting back on my question.

No problem.

Like they said, mix the packet into the small plastic tub of stuff and stir with a popsicle stick until the color becomes a regular gray (i.e. no ribbons od black and white). But remember, the working time on the small Proseal kit is only 30 minutes. I just did the trailing edge of my rudder, and my advice is to get some thin gloves from Harbor Freight (the clear kind) and put four pairs on your hands (one over the other). I found it was easiest to use my finger (in the gloves) to smear the Proseal stuff onto both sides of the AEX wedge. I smeared one side, then flipped it onto the skin and did the other side. Don't spend too much time and keep the layer VERY thin. The reason I used multiple gloves is so that I could simply remove one glove everytime is got kind of globby and have a fresh one underneath. This allows you to move quickly, which is important. Try not to stress, but do watch your time. I did the whole trailing edge of my RV-10 rudder by myself in under 30 minutes. I would let it cure for at least 2-3 days before riveting. Have fun!

It worked

Thanks for the advice on this. Using the finger in the glove worked good for getting a nice thin even coat on the wedge. What a mess though, I'm not looking forward to the fuel tanks!

Tanks aren't that bad just take your time and have everything planned out. Also have a lot of gloves and change them frequently .:D

Back