What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy cover reviews please

Larco

Well Known Member
I need to replace my canopy cover. Has anyone done side a by side comparison of the Cleveland and the Bruce's lightweight canopy covers? I'm sure they are both good but want the best fit. RV-7. Thanks

cover

I have a RV-9 and had a Bruce's cover. It fit very well and for long term usage would have been excellent. My aircraft is always hangared unless I'm on a trip so I bought a lightweight cover from Abby. It is perfect for my needs, lightweight and folds very compactly. It lives in the plane so I always have it when I need it. I sold the Bruce's cover because I never used it after I bought the one from Abby.

+1 for Bruce?s

Have one for the RV7 fits like a glove, water resistant, light and reduces light and inside temps dramatically.

I bought a lightweight cover from a fellow VAF member in 2012. I can't remember if it was new or used at the time because it was in great condition and a good deal. It was not marked in any way. Via some research I subsequently determined that it was the Cleaveland Tools model.

I have used it A LOT over the past 6 years. 5 days a week for the past 4 years due to my work commute. I just ordered a replacement last month because the high useage has worn it out. Mostly sun degredation so the cover finally became fragile and tore easily. The last straw was when it tore while trying to repair other tears. It served well so I have no complaints about the need to replace it.

My wife, a very capable seamstress, customized the cover with N number embroidery and 2 extra straps that increased the convenience of installation on windy days. The straps are positioned to engage the entry steps that are common on A models. It is easy to install one strap on the upwind side of the craft and then walk around to finish the installation without the thing flying off. They also keep the installed cover from rotating around the fuselage due to high wind.

She modified the new one a couple of weekends ago so off we go for another many years of good service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Now to ponder and get out the CC. It is getting harder at my old age to make an adult decision these days. :)

AviationCovers.com

Great company and product.

Second that. Bought over a year ago and very pleased. Light, affordable, company responds quickly. Off and on every single days holds very well. I had a known brand cover it disentegrated after couple years under the elements.

Abby is FlightLine Interiors

Abby is an advertiser on VAF. I also have her light weight canopy cover and I'm very happy with it. I put it on the plane when in the hanger to keep the dust off and take it with me when traveling. Fits great and holding up very well after 5 years. Extends to the firewall and covers the vent air inlet to keep rain out if in a storm and is a silver color that keeps the interior cooler.

I am pretty sure mine is a Bruce?s cover and I?m very happy with it, I know the club planes I fly have Bruce?s covers too and they are really nice covers.

Abbey?s cover

I?m fortunate because when I bought my 7 a Flightline cover came with. Fits well, holds up well and is light weight. Only use it traveling since my RV7A is normally hangared.

Have been thru a few, first Van's then Abby's, Abby's lasted quite a while but finally wore out, have had the light weight Bruce's for about a year now, really like it compared to the others but it does come at a bit of a weight/size penalty.

My question is whether any of these covers can scratch the canopy. Abbys cover is lined with a nylon ripstop type material, with exposed seams. Bruce's is lined with a microfiber. Has anyone had an experience with canopy scratching, caused by their cover? Thank you! :D

Greg Novotny
RV-14a 140209
80 hours, running strong
Tacoma Narrows

I had a Bruce's Custom Cover for my RV-8 many years ago and it was a fantastic product. I'll be ordering a cover from him for my RV-14A at the appropriate time.

canopy scratches

I have a nice fitting cover that is ripstop nylon. It is not Abby's. It works great as a hangar cover, but I have had some problems when the plane stays covered for several days while on the road. Most notably while in Moab with 2 days of pretty significant wind and off course blowing sand. Fine grit gets under it and leaves the canopy a bit milky. Easily polished out. The areas with seams are more noticeable.
It seems that no matter what is under the canopy, dirt and grit will make its way under and any movement would cause scratching. The cover is tightly secured. Considering using mylar bubble wrap type sunshades inside instead.

Last edited:
airplane-covers.com

Weather Max from Mac’s Airplane Covers, LLC. Fully lined for RV canopies. It's not listed on their website but you can ask for it. Very light.

Cost was $264.95 plus s/h $18.85 about a year ago. They offer others for more but the full liner is an extra $100.

Last edited:
My question is whether any of these covers can scratch the canopy. Abbys cover is lined with a nylon ripstop type material, with exposed seams. Bruce's is lined with a microfiber. Has anyone had an experience with canopy scratching, caused by their cover? Thank you! :D

Greg Novotny
RV-14a 140209
80 hours, running strong
Tacoma Narrows

I've heard the same thing from an FBO in southern AZ. They don't recommend leaving the canopy cover on if there's blowing wind and sand...which is pretty often. Might be better for non-desert locations.

Anybody got a tip with regard to Bruce's standard vs light weight cover? Especially for an RV-10.

Thanks,

Anybody got a tip with regard to Bruce's standard vs light weight cover? Especially for an RV-10.

Thanks,

I have the RV-10 travel cover and love it. I?ve been using it for 3 years and see no benefit for the regular cover unless you tie down outside routinely.

Back