What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weekend with the Grandson

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
Found out last week that my son will be moving further away. This makes seeing the grandson more difficult. I have in the past been able to fly from Orlando to Charleston SC on a Friday afternoon, pick up the grandson and return him Sunday evening. A move to Virginia will make this a little more difficult.
So I decided to take advantage of the good weather and RV speeds and pick him up this weekend for another visit before the move.
2dilumq.jpg

7 hours of RV time and a full weekend of fun.
5duwrk.jpg

He does great in the plane. Often never even talking without being prompted.
Flight home Sunday evening was a challenge.
I figured I would be flying into a mess as I fly almost directly over Daytona and the 500 would be letting out about that time.
I checked with the Savannah Approach to see if he knew how the race was doing and he didn't seem to know but gave me direct.
Too good to be true. Got just North of Jax. and the gave me a West reroute through Gainesville and Ocala. Time to cancel IFR. They offered Filght following so I stayed with them until South of Jax. and then they wanted to reroute me again. Said airspace was closed to Southbound traffic. Canceled again. Saw almost no traffic so I figure the race had not let out yet.
Perfect weekend and sure builds points with the wife.

Nice post.
Beautiful Plane too.
The grandkids make it more fun for sure.
You will find a way....just a little more gas!

Love these photos

Come visit us near Richmond VA (at W96) if that's any help with your new logistical equation. Relatively cheap gas, too. :)

loving the grin

yep, the passenger RV grin....priceless......and even better when it comes from the young ones!

...imagine Monday when the kids talk about what they did on the weekend?....soccer, baseball, bike ride....etc.

..." oh, my Granpa picked me up in the plane he built, we went to Florida, but now I'm back...it's FAST!"

stuff that will stick with him the rest of his life , for sure!

I still remember my first ride with my Dad, 45 years ago!

Back