What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to rivet the bottom wing skins

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
I need some advice from the collective. When I built my RV-8 wings I decided to delay riveting the bottom skins in place because I thought I might need access to the wings later in the build. I'm getting ready to order the engine, and I'm trying to get everything done that can be done before I get it (and the warranty clock starts ticking). So I'm wondering if this is the time to close the wings.

I have conduits for electrical wires installed in each wing. I need to plumb pitot/AOA lines and mount the pitot tube. I bought position and landing lights at OSH and will mount them shortly, but I will delay wiring them until the airplane is at the airport and the wings are on for good.

I'm going to go with Garmin G3X suite, and will use the GSA 28 autopilot servos. I'm thinking the roll servo will go in one of the wings, but is there an alternate location I should consider?

Anything else I should do to the wings before closing them?

Thanks,
Rob

You got it

Best location of roll servo is in left wing. Get er done before riveting.

I'd run all wiring through the conduit you have installed. Either a bulkhead connector on the root rib or leave the wires as long as you think they'll need to be - roll up the wire and leave it inside root rib until wings are mounted.
Same with pitot lines.

So in short I'd get EVERYTHING in place before wing skins on - just easier.

Roll servo

Just out of curiosity why is it best in the left wing? I was planning the opposite wing to de-clutter the left a bit.

Edit. Ooops. It's the right. Sorry. Don't know what I was thinking.

Last edited:
My Dynon roll servo is installed in the right wing, per instructions. Other vendors likely dictate the location.

I have installed several Tru Trac A/Ps and all roll servo brackets I received were for the right wing. Much less clutter IMHO. But either wing works just fine. Do what suits you best. The servo mounting brackets are just a mirror image of the other depending on which wing you decide on.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm planning Dynon so looks like right might be the easiest after all according to Raymo. Rob sorry to hijack your thread but I thought this info might help you out as well.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm planning Dynon so looks like right might be the easiest after all according to Raymo. Rob sorry to hijack your thread but I thought this info might help you out as well.

No worries, this is good discussion!

Back