What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fiberglass help

rwarre

Well Known Member
Decided to redo my wheel pant fairings since I did such a poor job the first time. Used clay for my mold base and everything seemed to be going well until I looked closely at my finished product. The very top of one part of one part of the fairing seems thin, only two layers and flexes quite a bit. There are a couple of voids underneath the glass. Question is should I start over or can I use micro balloons for the voids and just glass over the thin areas. Is two layers enough where the fairing meets the gear leg fairing? Thanks for you help.

On a non-structural part, you could get away with filling the voids with micro and applying more glass on top. It would be better (but not necessary) to fill the voids with flox, IMO.

If there are voids, I fill them with flox and lay a piece of glad wrap over them to make the top smooth. Otherwise, it is impossible (for me) to smooth flox. To your question, I think that 2 layers at the edges is ok for the intersection fairings. I do believe that the screws should be through the 4 layers, though, assuming that is your method of attachment. Just an opinion without a good visual of the exact situation.

Edit: I do touch the inside of voids with a small ball die grinder (Dremel) to rough the surface for the flox adhesion.

Last edited:
Back