What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Gust Lock

There is an internal one that locks all three controls. It isn't cheap, but it works well.

It's called "The Ultimate Gust Lock"...

John

I use the Ultimate Gust Lock from Antisplat Aero for my 7A and it works great.

Dan

Same here. I would advise putting some sort of protection on the rudder pedals and the stick where the gust lock contacts those parts...it has a tendency to wear into the powdercoat if you don't. I used UHMW tape.

If I were to suggest a slight design mod to Alan at AntiSplat, it would be some sort of rubber guard or something on the legs that hold the rudder pedals...but other than that, it does work well.

Mine has two 3/16 holes in the stop tabs and a solid metal rod bent into a U shape that locks into it, simple and works great but doesn't help with ailerons at all. I just use my seat belts around the atopic for ailerons which also seems to work well.

Cheap and easy

I use pvc pipe covered with foam on the outside which goes over the rudder. I stole the idea from someone else but it works great. Not much stress on anything and works in high winds, rain, etc. I am able to fit it inside the cockpit and bungy it for security.

I use pvc pipe covered with foam on the outside which goes over the rudder. I stole the idea from someone else but it works great. Not much stress on anything and works in high winds, rain, etc. I am able to fit it inside the cockpit and bungy it for security.

That's a good idea. I use these things:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z1CSC6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for the elevator and aileron, and they're awesome (the closing technique, in which you hold the strap against the tab while closing the tab, is the key). But they don't work so great for the rudder.

If the pedals on the 7 have holes like the ones on the 9 we had you could make a simple one like I did. I used 1/2Inch copper pipe with 2 90 degree elbows and a T fitting sweat soldered into a pickle fork with a rubber bumper on the single leg. I would put the fork ends in the rudder pedals and wedge the bumper end against the spar. Worked very well.

I would be afraid to use an external control lock as I know that I am capable of forgetting to remove it. Those have caused crashes before.

If you get where you need a quick rudder lock and don't have one stuff seat cushions in front of spar to pedals works on my RV6 and seat belt on stick.
Bob

Back