What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pics of sky view install

guido99

Does anyone have pics of their sky view install?
Specifically , pics of the remotely mounted stuff behind the panel.
Trying to decide if I want to tackle it myself or have someone else do it.
Mine would be an upgrade from the D180
Guido

I don't have the pictures handy, but we just id a full three-screen Skyview install, with remote radios, transponder, EMS, and ADS-B boxes. The remote units we mounted on a tray we built across the aircraft (not an RV) between the panel and the firewall. We had Stein build us the network cables to our length specifications. Many of the boxes are powered from the network bus, so they don't need any additional cables. The screens and a few other boxes need power and ground. The screens need to use a couple of serial lines - the supplied harnesses have all of the serial channels pre-wired - we just removed the ones we weren't using, and that really made the bundles similar.

I have built a fair number of panels from different company's equipment, and this was a pretty straightforward job.

Paul

Here's an overhead shot of where I put the EMS, transponder, the two display backup batteries, and the ADS-B. I did not put in the ARINC module. I did it myself and you can easily do it also. I did have Stein build the panel but I wired up everything else(used a Vertical Power VPX-Pro also). The two ADAHRS modules are mounted in the aft fuselage along with the network hub.
78bbee77-01a5-49ac-aaec-f2a9c2dbbd98_zpsadd434b5.jpg

ADS-B location. Disregard the fan, it was just sitting there waiting to be mounted to the top skin to provide cooling there and for some warm air onto the windscreen.
DSC02375_zpsea753ace.jpg

Transponder. You can see the VPX-Pro hanging down on its hinge to the right. It flips up at the aft end to be bolted into those two nutplates on the aluminum angle.
DSC02369_zps4baffb02.jpg

Backup battery, passenger side.
DSC02368_zps37d9e60f.jpg

EMS
DSC02380_zpsda4a3737.jpg

I've got the full Dynon Skyview set up in my panel.

The Transponder and ADS-B units are behind the baggage bulkhead. Close to the antennas for these on the underbelly. The ADAHRS is up high under the top skin of the aft fuselage. GPS is outside on top of the back top skin. The EMS unit is on one of the forward panel ribs. The COM unit is on the forward side of the subpanel. The backup battery for the EFIS display is on the aft side of the subpanel. I left room on the panel and subpanel for a second EFIS display and backup battery. Same with the ADAHRS location. At some point I'll go with a full backup (along with some IFR certification).
Lots of pictures on my web site.

Back