What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much work where two builders are required?

MacPara

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I have completed an RV-12 a while back and am now contemplating building a better (faster) travel machine. In deciding whether to go with a QB or a traditional kit, I am wondering how much work there is on a -9 that will absolutely require 2 people to complete it.
I don't mind the occasional helping hand on canopy work and moving a wing around and such but it would be a problem having to frequently require the help of my better half to complete riveting jobs.

Torsten.

I've largely completed a -7 airframe (same fuselage). I had probably 2 hours help with the fuselage, and maybe 5-10 hrs of help doing the 1st side of the wing skins (top), while they were in the jigs. I did virtually all the rest alone. It would be a lot faster (and with less chance of damage) if you had closer to 20-30 hrs of help on the fuselage, and some help with the bottom wing skins. I'm 5'10", with avg length arms and politically sized hands, and I was able to reach virtually all the rivet points in the fuselage. But it did require some careful planning and 'interesting' contortions. IIRC, one of the few places that absolutely required assistance was joining the tailcone to the mid-fuselage; the rivet line along the belly and up the side for a few inches.

My wing riveting partner was a student from the local a&p school, referred by the instructor who was a friend of mine. The student wanted the experience, so he wasn't a 'hired gun'. The little addtl assistance was from neighbors who had some building experience. If you have a local EAA chapter, there should be someone there who'd be willing to help out occasionally for meals/beverages, or in exchange for your help with their projects.

Charlie

How long are your arms? :D
I did 99+% of the riveting by myself on the -9. There were a couple of sections that I couldn't reach on the center fuselage, wing skins and putting in the last forward top skin over the front fuselage. Two of my three kids got familiar with the rivet gun and would help out when needed. I had another friend come up and help with the top skins on the wings, more for speed than being unable to do it myself.

I think I had a second person for maybe 5 hours total on my build, I was able to rivet all the wing skins solo.

I have one wing out of the jig and one just in. So far, I've absolutely needed riveting help for most of the leading edges, the entire tank, top skins, and nose ribs.

The tail I did almost completely alone.

I did a fair amount of riveting on my 9A solo, but most of the large skins were done with a helper. Things sure went a lot faster and were more enjoyable with help than when I was riveting large pieces by myself.

If you can find another local builder, you can help each other out, and I think you'll both end up with better results.

How much work?

I built a -9A almost completely by myself. Just a few times needed a 2nd hand to help. Did a QB so the bulk of the riveting was already done. Don't be afraid to jump right in.....

Keith
N355RV

I also built a RV9A solo.
It can be done. Hanging the engine, mounting the wings, fitting the cowls and fitting the tip up solo, require a bit of planning, but can be done.

PS (your Harbor Freight engine hoist is your best friend.)

141 rivets

I need help on 141 rivets, I'm about 5'11", wider hands. Tungsten bar made a big positive difference for me. Tungsten bar is also a bigger risk when dropped inside a structure. I used tape and piece of twine to make a wrist strap.

About half the rivets I needed help on were lower wing skins, the rest in the upper fuse skins.

+1 on the engine hoist, and the value of a fuselage rotisserie can't be understated.

RIck

Back