What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tow bar

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have the original non swivel tail wheel with a bolt holding the tire on. what is a good tow bar to use

thank you
dan carley

Last edited:
A few options

Dan,
I have same basic VANS T/W that doesnt full swivel..I love the way it works, and dont plan to change it, but I am always worried about someone pushing it backwards and messing up the tailspring and or rudder..I too will one day make a tow (or toe bar) . I entertained machining a custom axle with threaed caps on both sides , but I have also seen the long bolt/washer stack up which works fine, and a bent up claw looking ordeal that fits over the steering horns athat was in the early plans. For now, I pick my tail up by the tail spring and drag it around...get a lot of odd looks!

Tow bar whishing

I bought a Van's comparable tow bar, but it did not work with my tailwheel, as I have a bolt only coming out one side.
The one I wish I'd bought is listed on the home page, the Tailwheel Transporter.

I even fabricated one, that is not as good.

If I'd bought the transporter first, I'd have spent less than the 3 less effective models.
Daddyman

Tow Bar

I have the full swivel tailwheel and bought a Tail Dragger Dragger for my RV7 and found it to be cumbersome and heavy. It would not work well when I had the Vans tailwheel fairing installed. I now use a Cessna 150 tow bar that works just fine and comes apart in two pieces for very compact storage. Got it on Ebay for $20. It does require that the cotter pin be trimmed a bit but works great otherwise with the stock nut and bolt.

I built mine from 3 old pieces of light 1" square tubing I had laying around. The tubing is welded so it is spring loaded to hold onto the tailwheel bolt using two short pieces of round tubing. A short piece of strap iron welded on one side will hold the mouth open while you place it on the bolt. Works better than I ever imagined it would!

2cp9q52.jpg

Here's a couple items that might be useful to some:

Stainless steel, tow bar friendly, axle bolt designed for the Bell fork
1120-B-2T.jpg

And an easy to make tow bar that is the absolute bomb for keeping in your hangar. Cheap and extremely sturdy.

The standard Cessna 150 towbar (ACS p/n 13-01800, $34) usually works just fine with our tailwheels. Or you can roll your own for about $10. See below. It's made from ordinary electrical conduit. Just make sure that the conduit you buy will fit over the nut/bolt in your tailwheel, i.e. a little over 5/8" I.D. will work fine. Some welding required.. don't breathe the zinc fumes.

Towbar%202.jpg

Strap loose. Ready to install.

Towbar.jpg

Strap tight. Ready to use. You could fly to Alaska and back and the tow bar would still be attached.

I've been using a nylon strap from a ratchet strap. Works rather well and with the right length it stays well below the rudder.

I've been using a nylon strap from a ratchet strap. Works rather well and with the right length it stays well below the rudder.

Do you use something for a handle to pass through the ends? This seems like a simple/lightweight solution!

John

Do you use something for a handle to pass through the ends? This seems like a simple/lightweight solution!

John

I just run the strap around the vertical post/axle of the tail wheel and in equal lengths wrap each end around each hand and pull. This method definetly won't push but it does pull. Another advantage I've found by having some excess length is it gets me back from the plane and I can easily see each wing tip for maneuvering clearance. "Patent Pending" :D

i just grab the tail spring lift the tail up and pull the airplane.....:D

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I bought a Tailwheel Transporter as they advertised their shortest RV height model compatible with all RVs, including the RV3. It didn't work. Didn't have the clearance. I called them and got the equivalent of an, "oh well" response. Basically they told me that when they advertise compatible with all RVs what they mean is all RVs except with the original Vans non-swiveling tailwheel. Oh. Nice to know after the fact. Over $200 of scrap metal gathering dust in the corner of the hangar.

Jim

Last edited:
I bought a Tailwheel Transporter as they advertised their shortest RV height model compatible with all RVs, including the RV3. It didn't work. Didn't have the clearance. I called them and got the equivalent of an, "oh well" response. Basically they told me that when they advertise compatible with all RVs what they mean is all RVs except with the original Vans non-swiveling tailwheel. Oh. Nice to know after the fact. Over $200 of scrap metal gathering dust in the corner of the hangar.

Jim

VAF has a Classified subforum..... :)

Back