What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air tunnel fairings

sblack

Well Known Member
I fitted up my cowling on the weekend. The fairings on either side of the air exit tunnel (bottom of fwd fuse) which are called F451 (left and right) start 1" behind the firewall. So when you mount the cowling, which is even or slightly ahead of the FW (because of the flange) you have a gap all around the front of the F451. some of that is taken up by the gear strut, on the bottom and outside, and that will be covered by the upper gear strut fairing. But the inside of that gap seems to be wide open and rather unsightly. I poured over the plans trying to figure out what I was missing and I have not found anything. I have no other 4s at my local airport to go look at. Anyone have any bright ideas? Pics would be even better.

thanks

there is a piece that goes in there to cover that up.

4DSkc4v3Gq_zATAXnO2Scuh_IvTalW0kgoByAet3GWPxn1uRnnk8v49xOOBBPVoHs_Zw3F1Iqn3YNf6blDsL1XbmPYkLflLGnjuEZda-rmvE8I6HwMR8FSE5-Bo3b7bNnW68rKRGa5VAMAo7EegQp43lJPqpbrgYql3RXaAB1SBLLbJCZTf9LrwJsnswymmn1bhzLWDOQVQqMZ4hcNOTwgf1HhJQtxXR8F5_DphVHu987cJB4ATO3nVHpvoWNKsAOYYxSs_BAzfoTCk2zhbxR5n_SnlSUJhNGqd_H9EtRec7mO5AGOZjrDLHh5uvGZvJZTJY7cmBtByzDLnguvJVi78i9T2g-Tfbm_2T5unOVsd9oIHoP1T3xjknnsrrYKxSxxOWEISm3JysoYj6xXna9D70VCmUqGEphKcD0SDUxys_Vp5wC4dts47fwZTpfncUN_nUP8EPBSFHsv3zT2N-2MxH2as-L2jIiFnlhw15QPfnX4FLVdSMw2Dihoe-ZGmEEkFrf_oroKhymbRN3bCCt9QorRrDSAybaR0Rfu_49dR1v2JlDEMBbmawMNNI0H-aYagH6u-BOzOUPQBF17Ev1KFBYoywbfAN5PWgeFYEJK0s5xHA=w712-h949-no

Here is the gap. Note no filler on this airplane. I suppose it is not a big deal, but it looks untidy and draggy.

RV-4

Hi Scott

''I have no other 4s at my local airport to go look at.''

Hey Scott I'm still around ;), you can have a look at mine anytime you want..

Cheers

Bruno

ya but Bruno you are way off in the jungle somewhere. I'm afraid to go there. What does your airplane have to cover that gap? Anything?

Mine is just like the others..

Mine is like Scotts..the upper gear leg fairings cover most of what you would see. Very likely little drag there. I can tell you there is quite a bit of movement with gear leg flex, and I'm not sure I would want mine closed there.

RV-4 TUNNEL

Hi Scott

''ya but Bruno you are way off in the jungle somewhere. I'm afraid to go there. What does your airplane have to cover that gap? Anything?''

Good question Scott I'm not sure to be honest..can't remember if I have anything there..

I 'll try to remember to take pictures probably this week end..or drop by in Lachute ( CSE4) if you're there.

Bruno

P.S: You're turning into a city boy if you're afraid of a little ''jungle'' strip :rolleyes:

That photo is correct (per plans) and looks just like my 4. Why are you thinking that something is needed?

I dunno, it just looked incomplete. But if the plans say that and everyone elses looks like that then I guess it's good. Thanks for the confirmation.

Back