What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero Seats .. nice!

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Just got my Classic Aero seats .. beautiful workmanship! I'll try to get some pics up later.

Solid outfit and great customer service, highly recommended!

I just sent them my deposit for Aviator seats! Hope they beat the 12 week lead time though!

I've got my set on the way, too... and based on advice from other chapter members, I upgraded my order to include memory foam. Classic was able to provide me with a cover made of a canvas material sourced from Hooker Harness that should duplicate the look of a vintage warbird canvas seat. Jeremiah was very helpful, sending me several swatch selections and making sure I got just what I wanted. Can't wait till they get here!

Best part is after 400+ hours on my leather Classic Aero seats, they hardly show any wear. And I definitely don't baby them.

Best part is after 400+ hours on my leather Classic Aero seats, they hardly show any wear. And I definitely don't baby them.

I have not made a decision about seat fabric yet, but I am considering "fake" leather because of the maintainence my automobile leather seats require. Your comment makes me wonder if leather would be ok after all. I plan to keep my airplane much longer than my cars. What do folks feel about the durability of artificial leather vs. real leather?

I have not made a decision about seat fabric yet, but I am considering "fake" leather because of the maintainence my automobile leather seats require. Your comment makes me wonder if leather would be ok after all. I plan to keep my airplane much longer than my cars. What do folks feel about the durability of artificial leather vs. real leather?

I was going to order real leather but the heat factor pushed me back to the ultraleather, which by the way looks fantastic! You can almost flip a coin on real vs synthetic leather, they both have plus and minuses. I distilled my decision down to heat control and it saved me $700. I would have loved that new leather smell though.

Last edited:
I have not made a decision about seat fabric yet, but I am considering "fake" leather because of the maintenance my automobile leather seats require. Your comment makes me wonder if leather would be ok after all. I plan to keep my airplane much longer than my cars. What do folks feel about the durability of artificial leather vs. real leather?

I can't compare the artificial vs. real leather as I've only had the real. Two years in the Texas heat (old t-hanger) and 400+ hours show almost no wear. I've scrubbed them with saddle soap about every 4 months as I step right on them every time I enter. Last time I had to wash blood (minor cut) off. Like I said, I don't baby them.

If you're going to OSH, look me up and you can see for yourself. N4EW. Planning to arrive on Saturday so will park in the back couple of rows of HBC.

Thank you, Larry. I will arrive on Sunday for the week, so I will have plenty of time to find you and explore paint schemes, panel layouts, etc. Hope to meet you there.

Classic Aero Seats...

I just received mine a couple of weeks ago. The quality is great and the company was wonderful to work with! I highly recommend them! Don't count on cutting down the 12 week lead time though. They told me 12 weeks and they took 12 weeks on the nose. At least they have a good solid handle on their production scheduling.

Headrests - yes or no

I'm ordering seats/interior from Classic Aero. My biggest decision is whether or not to get the headrests.

Thoughts?

Pros/Cons?

Thanks

Headrests

I spoke to Stoney about his headrests and he did not like them. He said they didn?t add any comfort and made it harder to access the baggage compartment (at least thats what I remembered he said).

I spoke to Stoney about his headrests and he did not like them. He said they didn?t add any comfort and made it harder to access the baggage compartment (at least thats what I remembered he said).

I echo Rob's comment, while I don't have experience to judge the comfort level, it does hinder access to the baggage area and the added weight was not worth the good looks. I have ordered mine without.

As far as the leather goes, I had it in my 7 and loved it. It held up very well and did not find any issues with the heat, although mine was always hangered.

My 2 cents.

My seats are getting pretty worn and was thinking of upgrading. What about the operational heat factor of leather. IOW sitting on them when plane has been on the ramp for two hours in Texas 90 plus. Or pattern work on hot sun filled day, hot on the backside at all. If it?s like my Olds and I forget to prop seat up while in grocery store, my wife would rather walk home than sit on those sweat machines. Thoughts.
Mike

Headrest

I was thinking about ordering my seats with the headrest, 2 reasons: 1) looks 2) comfort with the shoulder restraints not rubbing on my neck.

Will the headrest prevent the shoulder straps from rubbing on your neck or is it a non-issue?

Will the headrest prevent the shoulder straps from rubbing on your neck or is it a non-issue?

This is probably going to depend more on how the harness is setup. The first batch of RV-14 Hooker Harnesses were too short, they have since released an updated RV-14 harness that deletes the Van's cable in favor of a steel bracket and longer straps, an update designed just to properly accommodate a headrest.

Back